Hearsay and swordplay

On the Monday following the dance, Dwight and Gretta reluctantly went back to school. Initially, it was different reasons for both of them. As she sat in her seat, Gretta tried to stifle a yawn, as she just wanted to be in bed again. While Dwight didn't know what his day would be like, he at least had a general idea of what it would entail. Although class hadn't started yet, given their public displays of affection at the dance, he was sure to be bombarded with questions throughout the day. He was more concerned if the questions were more so directed at Gretta. He wasn't exactly sure if a Gothic warrior princess could handle the peer pressure of teens. Especially, if she couldn't properly defend herself like she was used to. Previously, most of the other classmates hadn't bothered her, but this was before their actions at the Spring fling. Dwight wanted to hold her hand like he had done ever since he chose what memories to keep. For today, he'd decided against it, not wanting to add fuel to the fire. The problem was, he hated not holding her hand, it just made him feel worse.

The two of them shared a class at the start, but afterwards Gretta had a few classes without him. Dwight wouldn't see her again until their lunch period. He couldn't help but feel anxious as they both entered the class. When they sat at their desks next to each other, the class was silent. He thought they had dodged a bullet until he noticed Juliet turn around towards them.

"So.." She started "How did you like the dance on Saturday?" She asked, shifting her eyes between both of them.

"We had a lovely time Juliet." Said Gretta, trying not to smile too much thinking about the dance.

"Oh I saw." She said. "You two looked so cute together."

"Did you enjoy the spring fling?" Asked Dwight, trying to misdirect the conversation towards her.

"I did! But, it looked like you two had a lot more fun than me." She said smiling. She turned around when the teacher walked into class and they started their assignments for the day. Dwight noticed a handful of the students looking at both of them off and on during the class period. Some of them were shaking their head, others were giving a small snicker.

When class ended, Dwight gave out a sigh of relief, grabbing his books and heading out of the classroom. He had his textbook and notebook in his arms for a change, just to make an excuse to not hold Gretta's hand. Gretta followed him outside the classroom, but she was quieter than usual.

"Are you okay?" Dwight asked Gretta.

"Of course, are you?" She asked a little concerned.

"Yeah! I'm fine. No problems here." He said giving her a smile hoping she'd believe him. "Well, I'm off to class now." Said Dwight. "I'll see you at lunch." He said hurrying off to class. He cursed himself leaving the way he did, hoping Gretta didn't pick up on his anxiety starting to rise.

As Dwight arrived at his next class, he saw Zeke get out of his chair to meet him at the class entrance.

"Dwight, can I talk to you for a second?" Asked Zeke.

Here we go again, Dwight thought before he spoke. "Yeah, sure what's up?"

"I was wondering if maybe you and Gretta wanted to do an article on the paper together?" Zeke asked. "It would be great for some last minute english credits." He said persuasively, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"What kind of article?" Dwight asked.

"How about top 10 places in Woodside for teen sweethearts?" Zeke asked excitedly running an open hand across the air. "Or, Great places to take a date in Woodside."

"I think you've got the wrong pair to do that." Said Dwight, patting Zeke on the shoulder.

"Not after Saturday's dance I don't." Said Zeke. "I mean come on, what's the story on you two?"