School, smoothies, and spontaneity

The last few weeks of school went by in a blur. Between all the studying for both Dwight and Gretta, and Dwight's extracurricular activities outside school, they were relieved to be in the home stretch. Both of them had just finished lunch period and were sitting in their English Literature class. It was the second to last day before school was over. All of the tests were finished for the school year to everyone's delight. Students were waiting on getting their papers back, hoping for passing grades. After the graded papers were handed out to all the students in the class, a television with a DVD player was turned on next to the teacher's desk in the classroom. The teacher loaded a DVD into the tray and started it up, turning off most of the lights in the classroom shortly afterwards. It was the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Gretta was sitting at her desk, practically beaming with delight as she looked over her paper. Dwight turned around to see Gretta, meeting his eyes in the dimmed classroom. They both smiled at each other before saying anything.

"How'd it go?" He mouthed, not trying to talk over the movie. She held her paper up, showing an A minus. Dwight squinted as he looked at her paper and noticed only one marking with red pen. She pointed and motioned at him to show her his paper. He turned around more in his seat, stretching his arm out to hand his test to her. As she looked at his paper, she noticed he had passed it without any errors. This didn't surprise her, it only made it easier to compare his work to hers. She realized where she had gone wrong on her test, noticing the name Lydia instead of Kitty as the answer she missed. A slight blunder on her part, but she was still quite happy with her grade.

Dwight turned to pay attention to the movie for a bit before looking behind him again. Gretta wasn't that overly entertained by the movie, let alone didn't have anything else to do during it. She rested her head against one of her arms across her desk and took a nap. Dwight looked behind him and noticed her sleeping, rolling his eyes as he continued to watch the film. He wondered if a movie date would even keep her attention. She had gone with him to the movies before the reset had happened. However, she seemed more interested in all the food you could've eaten during it. Dwight thought about giving the movie thing another chance since they were going out on actual dates now.

He started to tune out the film himself, wondering what dates could work best for her. She seemed to enjoy dates where you weren't sitting all the time, but still having time to relax and take in the moments they had together. The carnival, the dance, even the castle had been exactly that. He knew that she loved to venture out and explore, regardless of possible dangers. While he wasn't a fan of peril, he had grown accustomed to it, and he'd never want to take her away from excursions and discovery. He pulled one of his notebooks out from his backpack and started writing on a blank page, listing ideas for dates. He just needed to make sure most of them were viable. The fairy incident still left him owing Lily some money, so setting up some cheaper dates would be a good idea until the debt was cleared up. Dwight didn't like the thought of Gretta paying for their dates, especially ones that he had planned. There had to be a rule of chivalry even Jacopo would've known about that involved a lady regardless of status not paying on dates.

Woodside was still a small town, but was beginning to expand a little bit with new stores and entertainment. There still wasn't a place for proper nightlife, at least for teens anyway. There wasn't a venue for proper concerts, although there was a theatre. He could always take her to a play that wasn't run by the school clubs for a change. There was a bowling alley not too far from the movie theatre, as well as a laser tag place opening up not far from the mall over the summer. He thought of possibly getting some friends together at some point over the season to try those.

Before the reset, Gretta had been used to her own world within the forest. Sometimes, it even felt like her world had visited them at their doorstep more than the other way around. This time, he felt a bit sad for Gretta as the Swine and Slosh tavern still didn't exist. It felt like less of her world had been made readily available to her. It forced her to be a bit more open on the notion of doing things in the world of present day. Prior to their dates, Dwight knew Gretta had enjoyed some experiences besides school and occasional outings within his world. She never had an issue with trying new food around town. She tried smoothies, and some of the local fare at times like pies and other places to eat. She had even visited some stores strewn out around town as well as some located at the mall.