Chapter 9

(Y/n) sat in anxiety as her leg bounced up and down in the small Thai hospital, Stu next to her with his eyes closed, leaning back against his chair, while Alan was chomping down on a large piece of watermelon. Just the thought of eating right now made her sicker than she was this morning, and listening to Alan eat didn't help her either. Her stomach churned in fear as she tried to listen to only the sounds of her foot tapping against the floor, a rapid, steady, constant pace. Rolling her shoulder a little bit, she tried to ease the itch that remained there from the tattoo, the red ink causing irritation as it tried to heal the skin above. Shifting to get comfortable, she put her arms over her exposed stomach, covering the belly piercing and red gem that sit there.

"Hey, (Y/n), can you stop bouncing your foot? It's really distracting," Alan asked, taking another bite from his watermelon, not even looking at her.

She looked up at him from beneath her lashes, anger spreading through her body as she slowed the pace of her foot against the ground. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is it bothering your meal?" she asked sarcastically, putting her hand to her chest as if she was being sympathetic.

"Yes, actually," Alan nodded, and took another bite.

"Shut the fuck up, Alan," she hissed at him slowly, clenching her fists over one another to ease her mind, putting it into her body. "No one gives two shits about your goddamn watermelon. The man I love got shot, and now we're waiting in the middle of a fucking Thai hospital to see if he's okay. So, please, don't tell me what's distracting to your piece of watermelon."

Alan was quiet for a moment before he muttered, "You're not the only one who's worried."

She glanced at him for a moment, and knew he was right. Stu and Alan both cared about Phil as much as she did. Leaning her head back, she went right back to tapping her foot against the ground, trying to ease her breathing, as it had gotten heavier and deeper when she spoke with the witless wonder. Stu put his hand over hers to ease her, and she took a deep breath to calm down, closing her eyes for a moment. "He's gonna be fine, (Y/n). Don't worry. Phil's a tough guy, and we've seen him survive crazier shit than a gunshot wound," Stu said, giving her a smile at the end of his sentence.

She looked at Stu with a tearful smile, nodding her head and saying, "Like that time he almost fell out of that tree at summer camp? Nearly broke his back."

Stu chuckled at the memory as she leaned her head against his shoulder. "Yeah. Like that."

After a few more minutes of sitting in silence, (Y/n) heard footsteps coming from the hall and looked up when she heard Phil say, "Hey." He came out with his shirt half on, a bandage wrapped around his left arm where his wound was.

"Oh, my God," (Y/n) breathed in relief, and stood up to hug him tightly, but careful to avoid his arm. Her head went into the crook of his neck as he kissed the top of her head, rubbing her back gently to calm her racing heart.

"Hey, hey, I'm okay," he said, and went to sit down in the seat beside hers, (Y/n) sitting down next to him. "Actually, bullet just grazed my arm. Eight stitches. Only cost $6. How's that even possible?" he asked as he buttoned one of the buttons on his shirt.

"How's any of this even possible?" Stu questioned rhetorically, leaning back against the seat he was in.

A silence fell over them, but it was broken when Phil said, "I mean, if I was a foot to my left, Stu, I'd be dead."

(Y/n) squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head gently, her arms crossed over her chest. A life without Phil wasn't one she wanted to endure, or even imagine. After that night in Las Vegas, she had grown to love him more than anything, and even if that wasn't so, he was still her best friend, regardless of their feelings for one another. She relied on him for so many things, just as he did for her. She took a shaking breath as Phil took her hand, this thumb brushing over her knuckles gently, the simple gesture enough to send her heart soaring in the stressful moment.