17. Striking a Deal

"Stop it!" Marco screamed, tears rolling down his face as Annie fumbled with the latch to his chest harness "Annie, don't do this!"

"Do it Annie! Show that you're still committed to the mission!" Reiner growled from behind Marco, joined by Bertolt in restraining the crying boy "Show that you're still a warrior!"

"Why?! Why?! Why?!" Marco shrieked, now mere inches from her face as tears began to slowly leak from her eyes as well "Why do this?! Annie!"

Now stripped of his gear, Marco was thrown to the roof as the three warriors quickly retreated from the rooftop. Annie turned back, unable to look away, as Marco desperately cried out for help just before he was grabbed by a Titan. She could do nothing but softly weep as she watched him erupt in a red mist, his screaming finally coming to end as the Titan's jaws crashed down on him.

As abruptly as the nightmare had come, it ended as she jolted awake gasping for breath, still gripped by the terror and guilt she'd felt in that moment just a month ago. Despite her best efforts, she felt the tears coming quickly, but this time in her waking state, as she grabbed for Y/N's hoodie and clung to it in hopes of drowning out the thoughts.

"When something must be done, it must be done no matter what. He wasn't the first and he won't be there last to die for the mission's success." She thought, splashing herself repeatedly from the sink in attempts to snap herself out of it "Tomorrow will be no different. Tomorrow's mission.. During the 57th expedition beyond the walls, I will capture Eren Jaeger and this nightmare will be over."

A few hours later she rose from her bed again and quickly got dressed and read over two new letters, one from Y/N and another from Reiner. Y/N's filled her with the same warmth and happiness as always, while Reiner's... Reiner's brought the memories of all she'd done up to this point back to the forefront of her mind yet again.

"What're you reading?" Suddenly walking over, Hitch snatched the letter and began reading it aloud "This letter's appallingly boring. Well, what can I expect from someone you know?"

She handed back the letter before sitting down and getting dressed in their shared mirror. As usual, she aired her usual concerns about Annie's lack of popularity and concern for image, only brought to a stop when Annie spoke up.

"Listen, about tomorrow's district patrol. Could you report for me that I'm out sick?"

"Fine by me, but why?" Hitch turned around, curiously eyeing her.

"I have some minor business to deal with."Annie muttered without looking at the girl.

"You know, you have off-duty time, so you can deal with minor business." Hitch said sarcastically, turning back to the mirror "Do it today."

"It's something I can only do tomorrow."

"Do me one favor, then..." There was a brief pause as Hitch dug through her bag before handing Annie a missing person's flier "She's apparently run away from home."

"And?" Annie grunted, looking under the flier.

"Five days ago, maybe? One of my seniors foisted it on me, told me to go find her... I mean, what's the big idea?"

"And?"

"Could you stop with the whole 'And?' bit?" She turned, an uncomfortable look on her face "I feel like I'm being interrogated."

"Someday when I come up with another expression." Annie turned away again, walking back towards the window "And?"

"Well, whatever. I'd like you to pay back the favor you'll owe me, before I forget."