22. Brought to Light

Annie slowly stirred from sleep just as the sun finally peaked high enough through the blinds to hit her eyes directly, feeling no less tired than she had a few hours earlier when she collapsed into her bed. She had spent the previous day, in its entirety, making her way back to Stohess from the forest on foot in the aftermath of her failed capture mission.

"I don't think there's a single way that could've gone worse... All that time waiting was for nothing." She pulled herself up in spite of her aching body and made her way to the bathroom to get herself ready for the day "Who knows if or when we'll even have another chance like that. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up."

"Look who's finally up..." Hitch said, almost with enthusiasm, meeting Annie's eyes as she trudged down the stairs "How're you feeling sleeping beauty? You've been out for hours, I didn't dare wake you."

Annie shifted her eyes away from the girl, staring down at her feet as she took her place in the lineup before mumbling back "Thanks... I didn't sleep we-"

"You have no reason to be tired, you've been slacking off big time lately." Marlowe spoke up, cutting her off as he glared over at the girl "You need to get it together, no one wants to take on your work too."

"Awh, calm down Marlowe, you hurt her feelings..." Hitch glanced back at her, giving her a subtle wink "She's been feeling sick lately, give her a break."

Marlowe's eyes widened a bit as his face went flush "I... I didn't know that. Sorry abou-"

He was interrupted by the arrival of one group's commanding officers, strutting through the room as he called the soldiers to attention. After throwing out several criticisms and petty insults he briefed the group of their assignment for the day; the Royal Government had requested Commander Erwin of the Scout regiment to report to Mitras to hand over Eren, creating a need for the MP to provide a security detail during their trip through Stohess.

Annie felt her eyes widen in interest, her heart skipping a beat at the thought "What?! They're bringing him through town today? Maybe I... No, I couldn't grab him here even if I tried. I wonder why they're taking him in..."

As he finished Marlowe's curiosity got the best of him, leading him to being assigned leader of the operation after questioning the need for protection within a city so close to the capital. Marlowe, Boris, and Hitch continued to bicker back and forth after the officer left, the dispute spilling over into the courtyard just outside the barracks as the soldiers began making their way towards their discussed meeting point.

Just after Marlowe had shared his plan to reform the MP Hitch broke out in uncontrollable laughter, mocking him for his constant need to tow the government's line before being interrupted by Boris.

"Well, that's a rather lofty ideal." He said sarcastically, standing back up from behind a doubled over Hitch "So y'know, good luck with all that."

"What's the point?" Annoyed and tired of the argument, Annie finally spoke up "I think if a do-gooder like you was actually put in charge of this regiment, you'd quickly find yourself working alone."

"Really?" Marlowe snapped back as his face contorted in confusion "That's what you decided to finally open your mouth to say?"

"Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt your sincerity. I know conviction when I see it. You're not the first person I've met who thought they could take on the world and change things for the better." Images of Y/N flashed in her mind, causing a subtle warmth to fill her body "It takes a lot of courage to go against the flow. I respect that. Of course, it could just be that you're all just a bunch of fools."

"Tchh... They might be, but don't go lumping me in with them. Is that understood?!" Marlowe's voice came out shaky, clearing having been take off guard by the directness of her comments "Blah! Enough chit-chat. Let's go!"