14. The Hardest Goodbye

Your eyes flickered open slowly, a feeling of utter bliss coursing through you as your gaze shifted from the sunlight slipping its way through the blinds to the Annie sleeping beside you. Remembering your plan for the day you let out a small sigh before creeping your way out of bed, sliding on your clothes and opened the door silently so as not to wake her.

"This doesn't technically count as not spending every second together, right?" Weaving your way through the typical Trost foot traffic, your eyes soon fell on the little jewelers shop you'd always to note of back it the day "If she wakes up, I'm getting my ass kicked, if she doesn't... This will be perfect."

No sooner had the jingle of the door opening filled the air than the shopkeeper popped his head around the corner, greeting you warmly.

"Good morning sir!" The man's glasses looked more akin to goggles, magnifying his face intensely as he smiled on "What can I help you with today?"

"I'm looking for a necklace, something nice for someone really special to me."

"Ahh, yes sir! Over here." He gestured you off towards a display case along the far wall "Is this a special occasion, or is this just a sporadic gift?"

"Special occasion for sure." Your eyes began scanning the case intently, several of the pieces catching your eye "Her birthday is coming up and we're joining two separate military regiments."

"Hmm... I'm sorry to hear that." The man's brow furrowed as he looked up at you "Love finds a way though, don't ever doubt that."

"Ohh, I don't. I'm determined to-" You stopped mid-sentence as your eyes fell on a beautiful green stone surrounded in a golden frame, attached to small matching golden chain.

Annie's words back in training seemed to echo in your head as you stared down at the gem "'I guess if I had to pick a favorite... Green, like a dark, forest'y green.'"

"Seems you've got an eye for a good emerald. Is the lucky lady a fan?" He said as he placed the necklace in your hand.

"Well, her favorite color is a deep green and this definitely fits the bill..." You brought the stone closer to your eyes and took note of its stunning hue "... I'm afraid to ask... How much is it?"

"We can definitely discuss that if this is the piece your heart is set on." The man gave you another smile, radiating positivity and quelling your nerves by the second.

After some negotiation and determining a payment plan, you stepped out of the shop as you delicately placed the necklace in your pocket before heading back to the barracks. You arrived with barely a second to spare, managing to slip back out of your street cloths and into bed just as Annie began to stir.

"Absolutely perfect timing." You greeted her with a soft kiss causing her face to scrunch up before melting into a smile "Smooth as butter."

"Good morning baby... " She gently pressed her lips to yours before sitting up and tying her hair back into its usual bun "I hope you slept well."

"I did, so well actually. I can't remember the last I woke up feeling this refreshed. How about you?"

"I can't imagine why that would be..." You felt a chill wash over you as her finger ran down your bare chest "Same though, I don't think I've ever fallen asleep that fast. It was a good night."

"The best night... I'd say it more than made up for all the interruptions and time it took to get there." Her eyebrows began to slowly, manically raise as you paused "Wha... What's that look for?"

"Ya know... We do have all day..." A smirk pushed its way to your face as you guided her forward by the chin, her words ringing loud and clear "There's plenty of time now."