18. Wall Sina, Goodbye

"Ok... I've got to make a move here... I can't afford to waste any more time" Annie quietly made her way back towards the bed, checking the body fully this time.

"He's still warm. He couldn't have died too long ago." Finding his wallet, she pulled out the ID card and was able to confirm her suspicions "Kemper Boltz... In this heat, it won't be long till the body is found. If I get questioned as a witness all day, I can't pull off tomorrow's mission. The same will happen if I report this to my superiors... Forget it."

"Should I just hide the body and go on? No... If the mission fails, I couldn't stay in the MP. That would draw suspicion and could blow my cover. Reiner and Bertolt would be at risk too. Forget that idea too..." She sat down on the bed, weighing her options while staring at her ring "I've gotta find Carly. Then it'll be like I never came here. After everything's over, I'll report Kemper's death anonymously... That's the only way."

Strangely she felt her mind pulled back again to her time at home with her father, the day she crippled him forever as she waited for the neighbor to fall silent again before making her way out the door.

"Did somebody kill Kemper and kidnap Cary? No, wait... They would've locked the door as a precaution." She made her way down the stairs and back out into the streets, hoping against hope that the coach had stayed for her "They weren't after Carly, but coderoin? No... Even Hitch could've found it in minutes. They wouldn't have missed it, there were three whole boxes in Kemper's room. If he and Carly were dealers, how did they get so much of it? Regardless, I'll start by heading back to Stratmann. I'll make him fess up what he knows about his daughter. I'll have to hope it's good."

"Thanks for waiting for me." She said to the coach, a soft smile almost making its way to her face "The Stratmann Estate, pleas-"

Before she could react the carriage door burst open and a blade was thrust towards her face, stopping mere inches from her skin. Still jarred, she heard a gun cock behind her as her stomach began to drop.

"Don't move. We don't plan on killing you here." The man in the carriage said, lifting the brim of his hat just enough for her to see his red eye "Let's not make a scene."

"Shit... It's him..." She recalled the words of the patron in Pit Lidors earlier "He's the one, the one with the red eye who was looking for Carly."

"Hey!" A voice called out from behind her, the barrel of his gun pressing into her back as he rooted through her pockets "Well, isn't this a pretty thing?"

The man held her ring up to the light, turning it over in his hand as he admired it before throwing her notebook to the man in the carriage "Bro!"

* * * * *

"It seems you're very passionate about your work." The red eyed man said, now finished skimming her notes as he placed the book down  beside him.

"Where are we headed?" Annie said quietly as she looked out the window, her mind alight as she tried to figure a way out of this.

"The industrial zone. The big waste tanks hold quite a few bodies at the bottom."

"Everyone takes a dip and melts to nothing." Laughed the other man; younger with black hair, scars on his face, and what appeared to be sharpened, jagged teeth.

"Seems like your brains melted into nothing." Her voice was cold and calm, a far cry from how she truly felt as the weight of their words hit her.

"Eh?" The younger grunted before jerking her to him by her hair, pressing the gun into her cheek "Don't test me lady!"