twenty two

twenty two

It was raining. It was not supposed to be raining. Luke stood to the right of Mike as he held an umbrella. "I can't believe this many people are showing up," Luke said. 

"I know," Mike whispered. 

It was his first actual headline show, like with an opening act and ticket sales and promos on the college radio station. The three-hundred capacity venue is sold out, a queue of people waiting for two hours now.  

Luke stepped closer to Michael, leaning his head on the blue-haired boy's shoulder, "I'm so proud of you right now."

The twenty-one year old smiled, "Stop saying that, you're making me queasy."

"What was your first gig like?" Luke asked. The two started to walk back inside the back entrance, closing the umbrella and placing it against the closing door. 

Michael slid off his black and grey flannel, placing it next to his guitar case and carrier box. "I was fifteen, it was scary. I remember feeling like I was about to die," he answered. He unchecked the locks on the case, opening it up to reveal his prized Mini Martin

"What'd you play?"

"A lot of The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots. You should've heard my rapping game in Forest," he laughed to himself, "I'm proud to say I've gotten a lot better."

Luke leant against the wall behind Michael. The back corridor were the two stood was dimly lit, smelled of smoke, but was somehow relaxing. "I bet it was amazing."

Michael picked up his guitar, taking it over his shoulder. He clicked a few buttons on the side panel of Tony (he still names every guitar), starting to tune up the strings and answer Luke at the same time. "I'm sure Cal still has videos somewhere. I'm not ready to watch them again."

"It would be so cool when you make it, you like turn those old videos into a rockumentary or a music video or something. Like, people should know how hard you worked."

Michael liked the way he said when you make it. He strummed a few chords, fixed the capo, then took a deep breath. "Yeah, maybe." Mike could hear the opening act ending their set, the stomach in his feeling was warm and made him feel sick. He felt like he was about to throw up. "I should probably go wait by side stage."

Luke stood up, giving him a quick peck on his stubble-y face. "I'll be in the pit."

"No grinding on anyone," Michael teased as he started to leave. 

Luke blushed, he still couldn't believe he met Mike four years ago and had no memory of such events. He can't believe that he let the—then—freshman grind on him in his drunken state of mind. He felt like such a douche bag. 

The blonde didn't feel like he deserved such a beautiful human like Michael. 

x x x

Michael's voice cracked after his hour set, "Well, I hope you all were entertained. Thank you for coming out tonight, I know this weather is fucking absurd."

The crowd laughed, Luke looked up at his boyfriend with shiny stars in his eyes. 

Michael took another sip of his water, "With that, I'm Michael Clifford, and I hope you'll all see me on the charts soon."

The crowd cheered again as Mike stepped off stage in full blown sweat. He was always in some type of high when he left the stage. It felt so much better than any chemical he's ever put into his body. 

He never really felt like he belonged, not in school, not at home, not even alone. But on stage, something just clicked. He lost feeling of everything, and the music just took him every night. He loses his mind in the beat his two hands make. All his worries fly away. 

Luke jumped up backstage, his arms wide open, "So f.ucking amazing."

Michael smiled, taking Tony off of his shoulders and putting him back in his case. He grabbed Luke by the waist, lifting him up and twirling him around. He left slobbery, quick kisses on his neck and jaw. "I'm so happy."

(a/n) sorry that last few chapters were fillers and short. idk where my mind was when i wrote them.

i have more state testing *cue the riots* this week, so i promise i'm not ignoring any of your messages or comments! i'll get to all of you beautiful people soon.

the festival i'm opening for is this saturday and i'm so fucking scared. fuck, i don't think i've ever felt this nervous. i don't even know why. it's the first festival that i'm opening for that's just me, like the last year i've always had my band or something. but now :(

i'm feeling somewhat confident in my set, but i just. i'm scared.

xo,

soph