𝟏

YOU DON'T KNOW MY NAME.
WILL YOU EVER KNOW?
_________

18 | 888 |DEVYNE CALIXTE SAINT

18 | 888 |
DEVYNE CALIXTE SAINT.
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS.
[ FALL 2020 ]

"CAN, you finally come outside or yo mama still trippin' on you?" Nova asked through the FaceTime call, sitting in her car eating a box of Canes.

Devyne had been in trouble for three weeks straight. A complete lock down, nowhere but church and school. On top of that, she couldn't even take her usual clients. So, she was locked down, miserable and nearly broke. All because she wanted to get something to eat after school with Nova and a few friends from school and didn't let her mom know.

"No," Devyne frowned, "I'm still on this stupid lock down! I'm never eating anything else again!" She fell back onto her bed dramatically kicking her feet.

"Girl, you a damn lie! I see the Popeyes box on the nightstand!" Nova pointed out, Devyne's eyes immediately looking over at the empty Popeyes box she had devoured an hour before. Should've got rid of the evidence.

"I didn't say when I was starting." Devyne spoke slowly smoothing down her baby hair hours in the camera.

"Whateva," Nova burped, "that ain't why I called you—I called you cause I'm tryna skip to my rappy house in like a hour, but I don't wanna ho alone!"

Devyne sucked her teeth, "first of all, the fact that you didn't say excuse me is infuriating. And secondly, I'm on lock down Nova! I can't go nowhere but to school and church and that's it! I had to get my food from Uber Eats." She rolled her eyes in the camera, the whole situation making her angry.

"So, tell yo mama you goin' to bible study or some shit," Nova shrugged, "come on!"

"Ooo!" Devyne furrowed her brows together giving her friend a mock expression of concern. "Yo' fast tail behind so eager! You wanna see that boy so bad—you better stop 'for his girlfriend come get you! I heard she was on the track team, you can't outrun this one."

"Well that bitch betta beat ha' feet cause I'm not comin' up off this boy, his dick make me wanna charge a hellcat to my credit card!" She pounded her first against her steering wheel dramatically making Devyne scrunch her face up before laughing a little.

"Oh-kay," she said slowly rolling her eyes before shrugging, "I don't know if it's gonna work, but I'll try."

"Aight ku, call me back and lemme know!"

"Alright." Devyne agreed before ending the call. Her stomach feeling fluttery at the thought of her mother knowing she was lying or rejecting it altogether. She couldn't spend another moment in this house without going absolutely crazy.