𝟐

18 | 888 |DEVYNE CALIXTE SAINT

18 | 888 |
DEVYNE CALIXTE SAINT.
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS.
[ FALL 2020 ]

FEELING a tap on her shoulder, turning around in the middle of the hallway she saw Nova smiling. Tapping her right Airpod twice, she paused the song playing, Tonight by Summer Walker. "Hey Nov." She said softly as they started to ask to the only period they had together which was Lunch.

"On a scale from weeks one to forever, how long she gon keep you hostage this time?" Nova sucked her teeth knowing this might be the only time she's able to see her friend during school hours. She hated that her mother was so strict.

"Forever," Devyne huffed rolling her eyes answering almost immediately, "she even took my car keys, permanently this time. I had to get on the bus!" She emphasized obviously annoyed by the whole situation. "I can't wait till December, I'm graduating early and I'm running away, not even playing."

"I love you and I'm not tryna talk about yo mama," Nova started, "but yo fuckin' mama make me physically sick!" She frowned. "We already can't live in each otha' skin and now she jus' tryna make me suffer without you!"

Arm and arm they walked into the lunchroom, sitting at an empty table across from each other. Devyne taking her AirPods out and putting them into the case. "It doesn't even matter, cause I'm not going home after school." She said firmly shrugging her shoulder. She hated the fact that she really was about to go against her mothers wishes, honor thy mother and father. But Denise was creating this divide. Devyne was a teenager, she needed to experience teenage life. She only had one year left of it for gods sake.

Nova deadpanned her, her eyes boring into hers. "You serious?" Watching Devyne nod confidently, Nova smiled. She knew it was only a matter of time before Devyne cracked under pressure. She was teen and she deserved to have fun just like everybody else, and not only be confined to just school, church and home. She needed to live. "Well then bitch, we outside tonight!" It was Friday anyways and Nova knew there'd be a thousand parties in Chicago.

Before Devyne could respond, she watched as Jeremiah, who now wanted to be referred to as Lil Jay after joining some small time Street gang slid on the bench next to her, placing his arm around her shoulders pulling her closer to him. Devyne and Jeremiah mostly knew each other from church—when he used to attend. "Wassup Dev?"

"Hey Jeremiah," Devyne smiled patting his back, "how're you?"

"I'm straight," he softly responded, "what y'all on tonight tho? Y'all comin' to the cobra party?"

"Hell nah!" Nova answered quickly. "Ain't nobody finna be in a party full of Mickey cobras! Y'all too trigger happy for me and I come to have fun, not die." She mugged a little bit rolling her eyes as she scrolled through her Instagram feed.