Chapter 6: Working

Camila and Lauren had spent all of Monday and Tuesday together going over the collection of songs Camila had written over the years. Tuesday afternoon Lauren asked Camila to write her ten favorites on a piece of paper. Lauren did the same. They compared notes and six of the songs matched. After some discussion, they agreed on one more song to add to that list that could make up Camila's first album. Camila gathered her things and left, excited to start working in the studio the next day.

Lauren arrived early Wednesday morning and checked on the recording studio. It seemed everything was in place and she went to her office and made herself a cup of coffee. As soon as she finished the pour her office phone rang. She picked up and Alexa informed her of Camila's arrival. She quickly made another cup, added a couple of spoons of sugar, and walked out to the lobby.

"Good morning, Camila," Lena said with a smile, handing her the coffee.

"Gee, thanks, Lauren," Camila said, taking the cup happily.

"No problem," Lauren said, "and from now on when you arrive just make your way to the studio. I don't need to be buzzed."

"Got it, boss," Alexa said, smiling, "I'll make her a swipe card."

Camila followed Lauren down the hall. She couldn't help but notice how Lauren's pinstriped suit pants fit perfectly, showing off her incredible ass. They walked to the studio and Camila dropped her purse onto a small table by the door. She took a sip of the coffee and hummed happily.

"I never asked," Lauren said, "what did your boss say when you told him you needed to stop working to make the album?"

"Oh, he said he'd have a spot for me if it didn't work out," Camila answered.

"Well, let's hope you never take him up on that offer," Lauren said.

The door to the studio opened and a dark-haired woman walked in. She had a confident stride and she walked up to Lauren. The two women embraced each other in a friendly hug. Camila watched, unable to keep a pang of jealousy away. The woman noticed Camila eyeing them and Camila blushed and looked down at the floor.

"Hey there, you must be the next big thing Lauren can't keep her mouth shut about," the woman said chuckling. Camila looked up in time to see Lauren give the woman a harsh glare. "I'm Normani Kordei, percussions."

Normani walked toward Camila and they shook hands.

"Camila Cabello," Camila said, smiling.

"Camila, I truly believe Normani is the best in the business," Lauren said, "There are a few different ways to do this but I think we'll try to do one complete song – My Own Way – and get the video done. That should take up the rest of this week."

"Wait, we'll do the song and the video in three days?" Camila asked, her eyes wide.

"No problem," Normani said, "Hell, I've recorded a whole album in three days. We'll have the weekend and all of next week to finish the rest, right Laur?"

"Yes, and if it takes longer we'll figure it out," Lauren said turning to look at Camila, "Camila, you look nervous."

"This is all new to me," Camila said, "It seems fast."

"The first song will take the longest, as the team gets used to one another," Lauren said, "But once everyone gets a feel for your music they can work together on the other songs while you get the video done. It'll be fine, I promise."

The door opened and a friendly looking man with a big smile walked into the studio. He immediately grabbed Normani and picked her up off the floor in a hug. Normani laughed and slapped at his shoulder. He turned to Lauren next.