Chapter 3: Meeting Lauren

Camila walked up to the front door of LJM Records and took a deep breath. She opened the door and was greeted with a smile by a woman behind the reception desk.

"Good morning," she said politely.

"Hi, I'm Camila Cabello," Camila said, "Ms. Jauregui told me to come here at nine this morning..."

As Camila was speaking Lauren rounded the corner of the hall. She immediately noticed that Camila was just as beautiful in the light of day as she was in the dark jazz hall where she heard her sing. She grinned at Camila and held out her hand.

"Please, it's Lauren," she said, shaking hands firmly.

Camila was desperately trying not to be distracted by Lauren's soft hand in hers as she answered.

"I'm Camila, it's nice to see you again," Camila said. Her mind wandered to Sofi and Kelly's descriptions of Lauren. Whatever specific words they had used didn't do the woman justice. She was simply stunning and her smile lit up the room. Camila felt her mouth dry and she cleared her throat.

"Can I offer you a coffee or some water?" the receptionist asked.

"I'd love a water, thanks," Camila answered. Immediately the woman behind the desk reached into a small refrigerator and handed her a bottle. Camila opened it and took a swig.

"Come on in, let's talk," Lauren said turning and walking down the hall. They rounded a couple of corners and Camila noticed two recording studios. They weren't as big as the ones at Syco but they were impressive nonetheless. The equipment all looked up to date.

"Those are our studios," Lauren said, noticing Camila eyeing them as they walked. "We can go in there after we meet."

"Okay, great," Camila said, nervously straightening her blouse as she walked. She knew she was fidgeting but couldn't seem to fully gather herself. They walked into a well-appointed large office and Lauren motioned to a couch in a sitting area. Camila sat on one end and Lauren took the chair across from her.

"Are you comfortable?" Lauren asked, looking at Camila quizzically.

"I'm nervous," Camila blurted out, then she felt herself blush.

Lauren paused a moment then chuckled and got up and went to a coffee maker and pushed a couple of buttons. She looked back at Camila with a grin.

"Are you sure you don't want some coffee?" Lauren said, "I'm making a latte and it's just as easy to make two."

"You make your own coffee?" Camila asked as she nodded that she would take a cup.

"Yes, is there some reason I shouldn't?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, I met with Simon Cowell yesterday and I'm pretty sure he would never make his own cup of coffee," Camila answered. This time Lauren's chuckle turned into a full laugh. Camila loved the timbre of Lauren's voice and thought she could be happy forever if she could just sit and listen to her laughter. Camila willed herself to remember to be professional.

"I'm sure you're right," Lauren said, her giggles subsiding, "He would never stoop to such a menial task." She poured out two coffees then placed one under a small foam machine and turned back to Camila, "Sugar?"

"Yes, please," Camila said. Lauren picked up a sugar bowl and walked to the sitting area. She handed Camila a coffee and placed the bowl on the table in front of her. Camila poured in the sugar as Lauren grabbed her coffee and sat down.

"So, tell me Camila, what do you want from your career?" Lauren asked, getting to the point right away.

"Well, right now I play mostly open mic nights and I'm a barista during the day to make ends meet," Camila said pausing, "So, maybe I should have made the coffee."