Fear of the known

'What is the use of starting new when you have everything planned for you?' Arnav questioned his twenty three year old daughter.

'I don't want that Papa! I need to be independent and do something that is my choice, rather than inheriting whatever is yours!' Aarushi tried explaining her father.

'It is all yours, Aaru, even if you deny the fact!' Arnav stated.

'But I want to start something fresh and rise and shine like you, Papa!' She pleaded, as her father was too adamant in not letting her go ahead with her start up ideas.

'Papa...' Aaru tried again only to get interrupted by her stern father.

'I have decided, Aarushi! No more arguments!' He commanded with a stern tone, that was enough of a warning.

Stomping her foot on the ground, Aarushi left to her room crying, leaving behind a father who couldn't bear a single tear from his daughter's eyes, yet had to remain stoic.

He found a hand placed on his shoulder and all his stubbornness immediately collapsed. 'How do I make her understand, Khushi?' He asked his wife, who was privy to such fights in their household between the father and the daughter. After all, it was two arrogant people, sharing conflicting thoughts, that led to such arguments.

Making him sit in the couch, she took her place beside him. Though she knew that her husband was always concerned about Aarushi, and his decisions regarding her were right, she also knew that he was so much blinded by his love for their daughter, that he denies her from experimenting with life.

'Arnavji, you know when Aaru was born, you had been so protective about her that you never let anyone hold her in their arms, with the fear that she might fall!' Khushi smiled, reminiscing those moments.

A faint smile crossed across Arnav's lips as those visuals passed in his mind.

'Since then you have been a great father to her, leading her in the right path in every walk of life', Khushi continued, though Arnav had no clue where this was going.

'You know when she was born, I wanted her to be a replica of you! I secretly wished she turned out to be another Arnav Singh Raizada, except the adamancy', Khushi chuckled but continued, 'Though my wish was fulfilled, unfortunately, she inherited your temper and adamancy too!' She pouted while Arnav looked at her with pride.

Taking his hand in hers, she asked, 'Do you trust the way Aaru was brought up, Arnavji?'

'What sort of a question is that, Khushi?'

'Just answer me!'

'Of course, I do! You are the best mother that a child can get', Arnav's voice was unwavering.

'And you, the best father!' She declared. 'She is your daughter and she ought to be independent. She is trying to achieve something in her life on her own accord without our help. What is wrong in letting her explore her dreams?'

'But Khushi! What is the need? All that I have earned is hers! Why does she have to toil?' Arnav questioned.

'Because she is an independent woman, who wants to conquer the world just like her father!' Khushi spoke. 'We need to support her dreams, Arnavji!'

Before Arnav could deny, she said, 'Don't show her the path, Arnavji. Just stand by her, supporting her. If she chooses the path of darkness, be there to provide her the light. If she chooses the right path, then shine in the light she radiates!'

'She is our daughter, Arnavji! She might fall in her attempts to fly, but eventually she will get up again and try! Let us be the strength that drives her through the wind! She will surely achieve greater things in life! Experience is the best teacher, and who better than you knows this!'

A few moments of silence later, Arnav remarked, 'You sure know how to convince me!'

'After all, I am Khushi Singh Raizada!' She winked happily.

***********************

Arnav knocked his daughter's door and entered in, to find a crying Aarushi laid on her bed.

'Aaru!' He called out reaching her, only to get ignored.

'I am sorry baccha! Please forgive me!' Arnav held his ears, while Khushi joined the duo silently. Father and daughter moments were utmost cherished by her.

Aarushi slowly sat up, as Arnav gently wiped her tears.

'I won't force you Aaru. You can do anything that your hearts wants to! If you want to initiate a start up, then do it. I won't stop you! It is your life and you have all the rights to take a decision. I won't interfere!' Arnav asserted.

'Really Papa?' Aarushi queried, excited.

'Haan baccha!' He smiled at his daughter, cupping her face.

The next thing Aaru did was to cling onto Khushi and say, 'Thank you so much Mumma! I know you are the best!'

Arnav was left shocked and confused and hence asked, 'Excuse me! I am the one who permitted you and you are thanking your Mumma?'

Giggling, Aarushi replied, 'That's because she convinced you, Papa. She is the only person who harbours the power to convince the both of us!'

Arnav could not deny that. Khushi had been the peacemaker whenever the father- daughter duo landed up fighting. And the maturity she showed in resolving their issues was commendable!

Khushi spoke to him, 'It is the fear of the known that is hindering you from supporting her. I understand, you know the cruelties of this world out there and you do not want your daughter to face the same. But trust me, she will emerge as successful in her venture as you did!'

'Yes Papa! Just support me like you always did, and I am sure I wouldn't disappoint you!' Aarushi assured.

Arnav smiled and kissed his daughter's forehead and whispered, 'I am proud of you!' and spread his arms wide only to get engulfed into a tight hug by his daughter and his wife. Cocooning them in his arms had always provided the feeling of contentment and that day was no less!

Phew! After so long, I managed to write a one shot! Happy reading!

Love,
Shwetha