13: Truths

.
.
.
.

"Congrats Nee-san...", Kanao said as she was sitting next to her elder sister Shinobu on her bed who was holding a newborn infant in her arms. Shinobu looked up at Kanao and smiled softly. "Thank you Kanao", said Shinobu.

"She's so cute.....", Aika said with stars in her eyes. She was sitting on the other side on the bed staring at the sleeping baby. "Hehe I know right, she's as cute as you Aika", Giyuu said as he just entered the room holding a jar of cookies. As soon as Aika saw the cookie jar and her favorite uncle (sorry Sanemi) she ran up to him.

Giyuu sat on the couch in the bedroom and put Aika on his lap and gave her a cookie. Shinobu smiled at the sight imagining Giyuu being like that with their newborn daughter when she's Aika's age.

"So what are you gonna name her?", Kanao asked. Shinobu looked down at the baby and then at Giyuu who was too busy playing with Aika to pay attention to the two women's conversation.

"Tsutako", she said. Kanao's eyes widened and she felt a few tears sting her eyes. "After....Giyuu's sister?", Kanao asked as Shinobu nodded. Tsutako died from ovarian cancer just a few months after Aika was born. Tsutako was an extremely sweet and loving woman and she loved Aika a lot that she even called her 'the daughter she knows she'll never have'.

Despite being sick she always smiled and loved to make jokes. She especially loved to play with Aika and tease her younger brother. Soon after she died, Giyuu started getting more closer to Aika and they soon developed a great relationship. He loves Aika like his own child just like how Tsutako loved her.

"That's a great name", said Kanao. Shinobu smiled at her sister.

"Uncle Giyuu, let's go watch some TV!", Aika said munching a cookie. "Hm okay Aika", said Giyuu as he lifted her up and they headed to the living room.

As soon as Giyuu and Aika left, Shinobu saw this as an opportunity. "So how's Tanjiro", she asked whilst looking down at her daughter. Kanao's eyes widened and she looked at her cousin in shock.

"H-how did-", "I watch the news too Kanao", Shinobu said cutting off Kanao's words.

Kanao sighed and looked down in defeat. She should've thought this through. One of her sisters was bound to find out at some point.

"How's his leg?", Shinobu asked.

"....All better, we ran all the tests and made him go through a bit of physical therapy and now his leg is all fixed. He may be discharged tomorrow"

"Ara Ara that's great news, it's good to hear his leg is all fixed", Shinobu said with a closed eyes smile. Kanao looked at her sister in disbelief.

"Nee-san.....are you feeling alright" Kanao asked in concern whilst checking her forehead for a fever.

Shinobu furrowed her brows. "Of course I'm alright, why wouldn't I be?"

" Because you just asked about Tanjiro's well being.", Kanao said,"Not too long ago you would have a dark aura and murder intent at the mere mention of his name."

"Ah", Shinobu realized and chuckled. "Yes I would have reacted like that because of my overprotective side but Kanao I'm done protecting you, I have someone new to protect now", she said as she looked down at her daughter with a tear streaming down her cheek. A few tears started sprinkling down Kanao's cheeks as well.

"Kanao you're a grown independent woman now and....I couldn't be more proud. You're brave, smart, beautiful and talented but most of all..... you're a great mother", said Shinobu. Kanao just listened whilst, letting her tears get the best of her.