21: Pain

"Welcome to Los Angeles Hospital, how may I-"

"Hello, I'm Tanjiro Kamado, can you please tell me which room Aika Tsuyuri is staying in?", Tanjiro asked timidly as he cut of the receptionist.

The receptionist looked at him shocked for a few minutes but then gained her composure. "Uh....are you family?"

Tanjiro nodded. "Yes I'm her father"

The receptionist nodded and then checked on her computer. "She's in room 316 on the fourth floor sir", she said with a smile.

"Okay....thank you"

Tanjiro ran to the elevator and tapped the fourth floor button hurriedly. When the elevator door closed he groaned and ran a hand through his messy red hair. "Please be okay Aika....", He mumbled to himself.

The elevator door opened and Tanjiro rushed out. "312.....313...........315......316!"

He grabbed the door handle and paused for a minute. He inhaled a huge amount of air and exhaled. "It's gonna be okay", he whispered.

He then opened the door and entered the room. Kanao looked up at the sound of the door opening. When she saw its Tanjiro she stood up from the bed she was sitting on.

Tanjiro looked at Kanao with teary eyes and Kanao did the same. "Tanjiro.... I-".

Tanjiro cut her off with a hug. Kanao returned the hug and let the tears finally fall when she felt her shoulder being soaked with Tanjiro's own tears. Tanjiro sobbed in her shoulder.

"What.......what happened to her Kanao....what happened to my daughter!?"

Kanao sniffed and separated from Tanjiro so that she could talk to him face to face. They then both turned to look at their daughter who was laying motionless on the hospital bed.

She had an IV connected to her wrist and tubes at her nose to help with her breathing. Other machines were hooked to her. She looked extremely pale and her eyes were closed. Her hair was messily tied in a ponytail with a headband to get the bangs out if her face.

"On the day she was born......the doctors were running all the regular tests and.......they told me it's a miracle she made it out alive unlike her brother......", Kanao said as she wiped her tears but more came out, "it turns out she was born with a hole in her heart.........if she didn't have surgery soon then.....she wouldn't make it........"

Tanjiro just looked at Kanao with a blank look as she continues. "So I agreed to her getting the surgery and it was successful.....the doctors managed to close it but not all the way so there was a possibility that it would open up again.......so since then Aika grew up with a weak heart"

"She feels tired easily.....when she coughs or sneezes she complains about a bit of pain in her chest......you don't know how many times I nearly drove her to the hospital then and there"

"We went to constant doctor's appointments, made sure she took her medicine on time and forbade her to do certain things which were to tiring for her"

"I thought everything would be okay but.......last night........her cries.....", Kanao started sobbing and Tanjiro wrapped his arms around her again," the hole opened up again......and the doctors said that the only way to treat her for good this time is by a heart transplant".

Tanjiro pinched the bridge of his nose and huffed. He looked back up at Kanao. "Well how's that going.....have they found a donor?"

Kanao looked down and shook her head. "No......the doctor is saying that a heart that suits Aika is extremely hard to find and that they are trying their best to find one......it's gonna take a miracle to actually find one fit for a six year old"