Ch. 5

In the hospital, I roll my body up into a sushi ball. My eyes are dry from tears, and I can already imagining myself running away soon. A nurse pulls my sleeve up and caresses it. I try to move her away.

"Miss, please stay still. The IV has to go into the correct vein, or you could get more sick," the nurse tries to persuade me.

Lies. That's what they all say. They all say that what they do will help me. They all say that just to protect their image, not to actually do the best for their people...

"No, please. I don't want to do anything right now." I tuck myself under the white hospital sheets.

"Miss, please cooperate with me. These are orders from—"

I scream in annoyance and shake her off of me.

"I said I hate it! I hate everyone! Why do I have to go through this horrid memory just because I love someone? Do I have no right to love someone? What kind of cruel society is this?!" I cry.

Another nurse enters the room... probably because of my screaming.

"Is she okay?" The second nurse asks and walks towards my bed.

"Just heartbroken. Poor girl."

I pull the sheets away from my fave and look up at them with my tired eyes.

"You go from being one of those followers of our laws to someone who pities me?" I yell, my eyes in shock.

"Please calm down, Soojung-ah!" The first nurse said. I grab the defibrillator and throw it at them in a rage.

"Tell me! Who do you follow?"

In a raging fit, I start throwing everything I can at them. From my pillow to the alarm clock, I chuck it straight at them in despair.

"Miss, please," one of the nurses beg and grab my arms. I go weak once again and break out into tears. The sounds of my crying bring in my parents who quickly come to my side.

The despair in my heart pushes them all away, and I look down at them.

"Don't even tell me that you're on my side at this point, you all. You all are just followers of the laws, but I am not. I refuse to accept this torture, and I would rather accept death. So let me go now, and let me die in the hands of my love," I announce and run out of the room before they can catch up to me. There screams and yells of my name travel through the halls loudly, but I keep on running.

I look back, seeing that they are only a couple yards away from me. My legs run to their max and let themselves run to wherever they wish. I turn a few corners, and before I realize that there's a group of people around a corner, I run straight into them.

"Soojung-ah."

I look up at the gentle voice, and it is Jongin.

"Jongin!" I scream, breaking my way through the doctors and finally getting to Jongin. I pull his head towards my shoulder and hold him there.

"Oppa..." I cry while holding him. He holds me with his free arm and cries onto my shoulder.

"My Soojung, why are you here? Go before they  pry us away. I don't want you to cry again, okay? I would rather see you smile and know that I still love you without seeing me."

I cry because I know that it's true. They're just going to end up separating us again, and we'll be heartbroken once again. If fate hadn't brought me to him, would I be happy faster?

With his doctors just standing there with a gloomy face plastered on them, I quietly let go of him with sobs escaping my mouth.

"I don't want you to go..." he says hypocritically and holds my hand.

I let him stare at my red eyes for a few seconds. "Please forgive me."

I let go of his hand and turn around. No one tries to grab onto me, and I slowly back up as I watch Jongin. He is sobbing a waterfall, and it is louder than mine.

"Soojung, please." His voice sounds hoarse.

I choke on my tears as I walk back, bringing my hand up to my mouth to stop me from crying a waterfall.

"Oppa, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me," I cry and spin around. The rest of my tears wash down my face.

"Soojung-ah, please don't go! Come back..." He cries, and I walk faster. I don't take the corner I turned a minute ago to avoid my nurses and family.

Out of temptation, I quickly turn around to look at him one last time.

Tears are streaming down his face, and he's holding onto a necklace.

The locket.

He is wearing the locket.

"I love you," I hear him say as I start running towards my room again.

I love you, too, Jongin.