The Hobby

"Hey, Lucy, do you want to come on a hike with me and Bailey tomorrow? I'm sure she'd enjoy your company seeing as I'll likely be complaining most of the way."
Nolan's proposal was enticing but she already had plans. She shook her head, "I'm sorry, I've already got plans tomorrow. Maybe next time?"
"Since when do you have plans?"
She took a half-step back. "Um, excuse me?"
"Hold on," he said, as soon as he realized his mistake, "I digress. I think that it's great you have plans, and in no way did I mean to imply that you don't get out often. I just haven't heard you mention anything as far as plans went. And to that," he rushed in before she could comment, "I don't mean that you typically tell everyone about everything in your life, but-"
She cut him off with a giggle, "Nolan! It's okay, really. And, it's less of a plan and more of a tradition, I guess? It's just something that's become so ingrained in my lifestyle that I don't give it a second thought. Because of that it just doesn't come up often."
"Oh, well okay."

...

"Can I ask what this tradition is?"
She scoffed playfully, "Nice try, but no."
"Oh come on," he asked in a tone that reminded her of a child being deprived of sweets, "please?"
"Bye Nolan," she said, rolling her eyes, speed walking off into the distance of the parking lot.
"Hey, no fair," he protested teasingly, "you know I can't keep up when you walk like that!"

~~~

"Soo...Tim."
He sighed. "Yes, Angela?"
"Interested in a baby-sitting gig of your godson tomorrow afternoon?"
"As much as I'd love to take care of the little guy, I do have an honest excuse for saying no."
"Great, let's hear it."
"Yeah, uh, I can't tell you."
She sputtered, "Tim! You can't neglect your godfather duties."
"Angela," he said patiently, "I'm not. I do have a pre-set plan for tomorrow."
"And I'm just supposed to take your word for it?"
"Ang..." he said testily.
"Chill, Tim, you know I didn't mean that. By that, I mean, of course, you always do what you say will. But, in that case, will you be available on Saturday?"
"Just don't with gamedays, Ang, that's pretty much it as far as regulations go."

~~~

It took a while for them to realize what exactly the parallel was. It took even longer to connect it. It was pretty much a no-brainer once they did come to realize what was going on. 

"Hey, Angela! Bailey and I are hosting a barbeque at our place this Friday for the 4th. We'd love it if you could come."
"Wesley and I would love to come with Jackson! Do you need us to bring anything?"
He shook his head, negatively, "No, we are all good. Um, so I'll be firing up the grill around 4 and we'll have games and the works. I guess if you wanted to bring whatever drinks you wanted to? I'm kind of letting everyone bring their own on that end just cause so many people like different things."
"Who is everyone?"
"Hmm. Let's see. Grey and Luna, James and Nyla, your family, Tim, and Lucy, although they'll both be late..."

Angela practically blacked out as her mind made a quick connection. "WAIT," she said, cutting Nolan off wherever he had been on the guest list. 
He surveyed her shell-shocked expression with concern. "What is it?"
"You said that Tim and Lucy were both coming but they both said that they would be coming late?"
"Yes...but what does that have to do with-oh. You think the reason they're coming late is related?"
"Oh yeah. And I think there's more to it. Anytime I've asked Tim to join us for plans or watch Jackson on Fridays, he's been busy at least on one of those. Yes, I know, Fridays. Who doesn't have plans? Tim of all people has consistent plans. But still."
"Lucy actually has been the same way now that you mention it. I-OW! What was that for?" He rubbed his arm where Angela had slapped him. 
"Why didn't you mention anything sooner?"
"I didn't think it was such a big deal. I certainly didn't know it was going to be relevant to this conversation. But as I was saying, it's been the same with her. I'll invite her for hikes or other sorts of activities with me and Bailey. Some Fridays, she will turn me down as well. How did we not see this?"
"Well, for one, we've never talked about it. For another thing, it took you mentioning the two of them together to allow it to click."

...

"So...what do you think it is?"
She scoffed, "Do I look like I have all the answers, Nolan?"
"No, sorry."
"Trust me, I would have said something if I did."
"Do you think...that they finally, you know..."
"Sucked it up and confronted their obvious feelings like the strong individuals they are? Absolutely not. That would have been obvious."
"Would it though?"
She shot him a sharp look. "Do you want to make it to your 50th birthday, Nolan?"
"I would like to do that. But, okay, they aren't together-"
"YET."
"They aren't together yet. But, it is highly likely that whatever "plans" they always have to blow us off for are plans they have together."
"Oh, one-hundred percent."

~~~

"Status update, Chen," he commanded.
"We've taken out 5 of the seven teams collectively and there is one rogue member from the yellow duo. That leaves us with four armed opponents and one at large."
"Okay. So chances are they'll all head for higher ground. Our best bet is to lay low and survey the circumstance in order to gain the best tactical advantage. If we can take out some toes, we'll go for it. But only clean shots."
"Understood."
"We'll move on my mark."

At his signal, they hugged the walls of the terrain and moved through the grass swiftly.

~~~

As they walked out to the parking lot, Lucy checked her watch. "It's only 4:45. If we both hurry, we'll make it to Nolan's before we become noticeably late."
"Lucy," he sighed, "late is late, no matter how you spin it."
"I'm just surprised that you were willing to be late."
"I wouldn't miss this for the world," he said softly.
She felt a rosy warmth spread across her face. Suddenly, he reached out and cupped the side of her face. She wasn't quite sure what to do, much less of what he was doing. His thumb caressed her cheek in a few soft swipes before he pulled back.
"Sorry," he said, "you had paint on your face."
She giggled uncertainly, nervously touching her face even though she knew he'd taken care of it. "Thanks...um, well I'll see you soon?"
"See you soon."
"Oh, and Tim?"
"Yes?"
"You've got a little something on your neck, too."
"Really, Chen?"
"Don't say I didn't warn you."