Chapter 46

FLETCHER

When Eden and I had the conversation about how busy our lives would become after the reception hall opened, I didn’t realize how true that statement would actually be. We held our first actual event in early May. It was a dinner for the countywide women’s council. It was only about forty older women and the event went smoothly. They raved all night long about how wonderful the reception space was and we were hopeful that meant they’d use the hall for future events for years to come.

Having a low-key event to start out with what a good way to prep because then it was followed by three weddings over the next four weeks. One thing we realized quickly was we needed to hire more people. Although all of the regular staff at the Mason Jar could also work at the reception hall, we hired a bartender and two members of wait staff just for the reception hall. Eden also partnered up with an event planning company in a nearby town that gave her a list of temp employees that we could call in for just one or two events as needed.

Carly also took on a role as Eden’s assistant. She pretty much did anything that was needed and learned a lot about decorating and napkin folding through YouTube. With the reception hall taking off, Alice officially put in her retirement notice. She wanted to be able to watch Joey whenever we needed it, so in a couple of weeks, she’d be retiring.

June was highlighted by Eden’s birthday and then the guy’s trip to Denver with Joey, Nathan, and Abram. We went up on a Friday morning and came back on Sunday, going to two games that they played against the Chicago Cubs. I commented that we should do it every year, and make it a cool tradition. Both boys were more than happy to agree with that and I was certain I wouldn’t have to do much to convince Nathan.

The end of summer carnival was starting tomorrow and Eden agreed to host the cake and pie contests at the reception hall instead of at the high school gym. The gym was across town away from the downtown carnival, but the reception hall was right in the middle of the city. Add another thing to the plus column.

Joey asked if he could be a judge for the contest, but unfortunately, we had to tell him no. My mom said she’d make him whatever kind of cake or pie that he wanted though. Mom and Dad fell in love with Joey as quickly as I did. They have fully accepted him as a grandson and my brothers are the fun uncle crew through and through.

Eden was already at the hall this morning setting up tables, so it was just Joey and I having breakfast before heading down into the bar. Joey couldn’t officially help around the bar, but he started to float between the two offices when he needed to tag along.

“Hey, Dad?” My stomach still filled with butterflies every time he called me dad. It isn’t all the time, but it is becoming more frequent. I’m not pushing anything or trying to rush it. I want him to be as comfortable in this relationship as he can be.

“What’s up?”

“How many rides do you think the carnival is going to have?”

“You remember the carnival we went to in the Fall?”

“Yeah,” he said with excitement, remembering the day we spent together.

“Well, the carnival is about ten times bigger. The highlight is the huge Ferris wheel that is in the middle of Main Street.”

“Is it as big as the one at the pier?”

I furrow my brows, “I don’t know how big the one at the pier is.”

“The huge one, at the place by the ocean in California,” he says with so much certainty.

“Hey buddy, I’ve never been to California.”