Chapter 59

-

3 Weeks Later

-

"Rick's home!" Carol declared from the porch.

I quickly raced out of the house, finding Rick with two strangers behind him.

"Daddy!" Judith squealed.

I quickly followed Judith out to him before Rick scooped her up in his arms. I glanced to the blonde standing behind him, immediately recognizing her as his nurse, Caroline.

"Hi." I greeted, nodding to her.

I blinked, watching as she completely diverted her attention to the ground and ignored me.

"Hello." The older man greeted me as he held his hand out to me.

"Hi." I replied, hesitantly taking his hand.

"I missed you." Rick stated, pulling me into his arms.

"I'm so glad you're home." I sighed as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I took a deep breath and the scent of vanilla hit my nostrils as I placed my head on his chest.

"Who are these people?" Daryl asked from behind me.

"This is Burt and Caroline. Caroline took care of me in the hospital and Burt brought supplies for Hilltop." Rick explained.

"Why is she here?" Daryl inquired, asking the same question I was about to.

"I'm here to continue Rick's care. It's important that we continue the best of care to ensure proper healing of his injuries. He wouldn't have it any other way than to be discharged early so he could come home, so we compromised." Caroline explained with a smile as she wrapped her hand around Rick's arm.

"That won't be necessary." I replied, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Being a member of the White Oak Council makes that very necessary." She replied, her eyes becoming hard as she looked at me.

"What?" I asked, looking to Rick.

"Rick is now a member of the White Oak Council and being so requires that they receive the upmost care if health condition or injury arises." Caroline replied, placing her hand on Rick's arm again as she smiled at him. I scowled, wanting nothing more than to rip her hair out.

"You're with them?" Daryl asked.

"There's a lot to explain." Rick replied.

"Yeah, a lot to explain." I stated, crossing my arms.

"Rick, can we have a word with you?" Carol asked.

"If someone wouldn't mind showing me to a room to set up for him, I'd be mighty appreciative." Caroline stated, glancing around at us.

"Uh, I will." Glenn replied.

I stood back and watched as he lead her to the farmhouse and inside before turning to Rick.

"I thought you didn't trust them." I stated.

"I don't, not yet. They're going to help us rebuild Alexandria." Rick replied.

"Why would they do that?" I asked.

"In two years they will no longer have food for their citizens. They want to turn Alexandria into a farming community. There is plenty of land, a great water source nearby, and then the town." He answered.

"You're just giving them Alexandria?" Carl asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"No. It will remain ours, we just have a partnership with them." Rick answered.