Chapter 48

-

- two days later -

I walked down the street with Maggie, noticing a large amount of people entering the church at the end of the block.

"Do you know what's going on?" I asked Maggie.

"There's a meeting about the war. The Saviors are here, too. I guess they're getting a game plan together." She answered.

"Great." I scoffed.

"How are things between you and Rick?" She inquired.

"We have maybe spoke two words to each other since the other morning in his office." I replied.

"Things will get better." She replied, giving me a small smile.

"Hey. Y'all joining the meeting?" Kyle asked, opening the church door for us.

"Yes." I replied, walking up the steps.

I entered the church, finding that there were only a few open benches toward the back. My eyes landed on Rick who was standing at the front before I averted my attention back to finding a seat.

"Come on." Maggie ordered me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me toward the front where Glenn was sitting in the front pew.

I glanced to my left, noticing Negan standing up from his seat before stepping over to Rick. I looked around the room, finding at least twenty people that I did not recognize.

I turned back in my seat and looked straight ahead at the large stained window before Negan stepped in front of me.

"What?" I asked, looking up at him before he leaned over and placed his head beside mine.

I froze, fearing what he was about to do as he was completely unpredictable.

"Stay after the meeting. I need to speak with you." He muttered, his voice barely above a whisper.

I nodded my head as he stood up straight and stepped away from me before I glanced to Rick who immediately looked away from me.

"What did he say?" Maggie asked.

"He wants me to stay after. He needs to talk to me." I answered.

"That's everyone!" Kyle declared before closing the doors in the back.

"Why is he here?" One woman asked, pointing to Negan.

"I'll get to that." Rick replied.

"When do we attack?" One man asked, standing up from his seat.

"We hit tomorrow at daylight. We will be in teams of five, we will start at the perimeter of their camp and circle in on them." Rick answered.

"That is suicide." The man replied.

"Do you have a better way?" Rick fired back.

I zoned out as I became quickly annoyed by all the questions being asked and unwanted opinions.

"I'm having a hard time understanding why we are getting thrown into a bloodbath." Someone stated, followed by a couple of people agreeing.

"This isn't going to end well." Maggie whispered to me. I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans before standing up and turning to the side of the room where all the ignorant statements were being thrown.

"Do you have family?" I asked, looking the woman in the eyes.

"Yes." She answered.