Chapter 21

-

"Jessica!" Maggie yelled, knocking on my bedroom door.

"What?" I asked, opening the door.

"Aren't you coming to the party?" She inquired, her eyes scanning me.

"I'm not going." I replied.

"Why?" Rosita asked.

"Because I don't know anyone there." I replied, crossing my arms.

"That's the whole point." Maggie stated.

"I just don't feel good." I sighed, sitting down on the bed.

"Liar. Get your shoes and come on. Your hair looks amazing, by the way." Rosita replied, taking a lock of my hair in her hand.

I sighed and followed them out of my room before leaving the house and walking down the street.

"You definitely need a drink." Maggie told me as we reached Deanna's house.

"I definitely do." I agreed, following her inside.

"Welcome! How are you guys?" Deanna asked, greeting us three at the door.

"Where is the alcohol?" I asked, half joking half not.

"Right this way." Deanna replied, laughing.

I laughed and quickly followed her into her living room where I found Spencer and an older man standing talking to each other.

"Jessica, this is my husband, Reg. I don't think you've met him yet." Deanna introduced me to the older man.

"Hello." I greeted, shaking his hand.

"Ah, I've heard about you." He replied, smirking as he looked to Spencer.

"Have you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"Here you go." Spencer replied, handing me a glass of alcohol.

"Thank you." I replied, giving him a smile.

"Oh, Carol! You didn't have to do that!" Deanna exclaimed as Carol walked into the living room with a container of food.

"It's nice to meet you, Jessica. I hate to split so fast, but I need to find out where the desserts are." Reg stated, giving me a warm smile before walking off to the kitchen.

"I heard you weren't feeling well." Spencer stated as I took a sip of my drink.

Beer? Really? I need something stronger to get through this mess.

"I'm fine. I was just dehydrated." I replied.

"Did you see Pete?" He asked, taking a sip of his alcoholic beverage.

"Pete? No. A doctor named Denise came by the house. It wasn't a big deal." I answered.

"You haven't met Pete, I see." He replied.

"Who is he?" I inquired.

"Jessie's husband. He's our doctor along with Denise." He replied.

"Oh, okay." I replied, nodding my head.

"I'd like to show you around sometime when you're up to it. There are some pretty cool places in this little place." He replied.

"I'd like that." I replied, looking to him.

"Are you free tomorrow morning?" He inquired.

"Yeah, I am." I answered.

"Great. Mind if I come over at around eight?" He questioned as I glanced across the room where Rick was leaned against the doorway.