Chapter 129

-

"We found them. What do you want us to do with them?" Glenn asked Rick as his voice crackled through the walkie radio.

"How many?" Rick asked.

"Two men. One woman." Glenn answered.

"Where are the animals?" Rick inquired while staring at his desk.

"Dead. They killed our cow." Glenn answered, his tone sharp.

"Kill them." Rick ordered Glenn.

I sighed, watching as Rick's eyes scanned the room before he stood up and looked down at me with stern eyes.

"You gonna hold your end of the deal?" He asked me.

"No." I spat while furrowing my eyebrows like he was dumb. He took another look at me before leaving his office to go across the hall.

I stared blankly at the desk while listening as Rick told Vince we found his group.

"Good. Now where's that pretty little lady? We had a deal. I've been thinking about how I'm gonna bend her over that desk and fuck her brains out. I might even—"

"Fuck!" Vince screamed as the sound of a knife piercing his body echoed from the holding room.

"I gotta go." I told Maggie and Daryl while quickly standing up.

"You okay?" Maggie asked.

"Yeah." I answered while leaving the room with my head down to avoid seeing the mess.

I guess I've become sensitized to death the past year after my own. When I was dying, the fear I felt was greater than anything I had ever felt in my life. And to think of all the people I've killed, knowing they felt that same feeling, honestly haunted me.

Not for the ones that deserved it, but the ones that just got in my way. The ones I should've let go.

"Jess, wait up." Maggie ordered from behind me.

"Yeah?" I asked while turning to face her.

"Are you okay?" She asked again since we were alone.

"Yeah, I'm just... not ready for that stuff again I guess." I admitted while walking out of city hall with her.

"I know." She replied.

-

"We're gonna get our bath and go to bed, okay?" I told Magnolia while she threw a stacking block to the side.

I turned my head to the door, hearing several knocks that sounded familiar to Rick's knocks. I handed Magnolia a toy before standing up from the floor and heading for the front door.

"Hey." I greeted Rick after opening the front door.

"Hey." He replied while stepping inside.

I looked to him, waiting for him to tell me why he was here while he closed the door behind himself.

"Thank you for helping today. I know it was difficult for you. I shouldn't have let you go in there in the first place." He stated while studying my eyes.

"No problem. It's okay." I replied while crossing my arms.

"Is Magnolia still up?" He questioned.

"Yeah. I'm about to bath her and get her ready for bed." I answered while glancing to the dried blood on his knuckles as he spun his watch around to look at the time.

"She's in the living room." I told him while he looked back to me.

He turned and walked into the living room and I headed into my kitchen to pour myself a glass of water before leaning back against the counter to take a second for myself.