Chapter 109

-

"Rick's gone after Judith. We couldn't find her. She must've got scared and ran off. Julia saw her evacuating with Lana." I told Daryl as Carl and I reached him, Carol, Negan, and Tara.

"You're hurt!" Carol declared while pointing to my bloody arm.

"I'm fine." I replied while she inspected Magnolia.

"Got any idea who's doing this?" Tara asked.

"One of our guys said it's an inside job." I answered while glancing to Negan who was loading bullets into a magazine.

"Sit down while we wait." Carol ordered me while dropping the tailgate on the truck. I quickly accepted her offer and sat down to recover from my current faintness.

I rocked back and forth to continue consoling Magnolia and rubbing her back with my hand.

"It's okay." I muttered while pressing my lips to her forehead.

"It's a wonder she didn't get hurt." I sighed while Carol pressed a rag to my elbow.

"Daryl, did they make it to you?" Rick asked through the walkie.

"Yeah. They're here. Did you find Judith?" Daryl asked.

"No. Take Jess and Carl back to Hilltop. They caught two guys setting another bomb, but there are more. I'm trying to track down Lana and the other evacuees." Rick answered, sounding breathless.

"Take Magnolia. I'm helping find Judith." I told Carol while removing Magnolia from the carrier.

"You need to come to Hilltop. You're not in good enough condition to run, fight, and do what you do." Carol replied.

"I'm not leaving until I find my girl." I stated while handing Magnolia off to Carol.

"Carol's right, you can't fight. Your body can't take much more, Jess." Carl replied.

"Judith isn't with Lana. She never had her." Rick updated.

"So who's lying? Julia or Lana?" Tara asked while furrowing her eyebrows.

I quickly looked to Daryl who looked back at me before glancing to Carol.

"We got company." Tara stated while looking behind me.

I turned around, finding a large group of walkers headed our way.

"I found Julia and Louis. I've got them. Meet me at City Hall." Rick updated.

"On our way." Daryl replied.

"Take the Magnolia and Carl back to Hilltop. We'll radio when we're ready for you to come back." Daryl ordered Carol.

"On it." Carol replied while placing Magnolia in her car seat.

"You go, too." Daryl ordered me.

"You know me better than that." I replied while heading back to White Oak, ignoring his orders.

Once entering through the back exit, most of the chaos had calmed since most of the community had evacuated. Multiple homes and buildings, including the President's mansion, was in flames.

I gripped my rifle and began jogging to City Hall where three soldiers were guarding outside.

"He's in the lobby." One soldier told me. I glanced behind me, finding Daryl, Tara, and Negan close behind.