Chapter 2

Once Arthur had left your apartment sadly with his head still attached to his scrawny shoulders you could start getting ready for work. You returned the switch blade back into its spot in the drawer your eyes lingered on the paper for a few seconds as you debated re reading the letter again.  You decided against it and instead closed the drawer, slipping your other hand underneath your pillow to retrieve your phone you checked the screen.

No new messages or anything of real urgency came up so you put the device on charge and walked towards the radiator that held your cleanest clothes. A black wool turtle neck was always your go to for the morning shifts it was the one piece of clothing you genuinely liked. You tossed it onto the bed and grabbed the black jeans that had been drying beside it feeling from hem to waist for any dampness. You pulled your clothes on and smoothed them out a little hoping any creases would work their way out as they day went on.

Once  you were satisfied you grabbed your dirty combat boots from beside your bed  You should give them a clean at some point, maybe change the laces at least. You pulled the laces tight and tied the boots up, rubbing the sides in an attempt to make them look less dirty. 

After a few minutes of searching and grumbling you found your belt, the jeans were a little baggy around your waist and you weren't in the mood to keep pulling them up all day otherwise you wouldn't have bothered with the leather belt. You threaded it through the loop as you grabbed your badge that allowed you access to the staff only rooms of the museum and shoved it into your back pack. You never really emptied it so everything was always in the place you last left it in, double checking, just to make sure,you nodded to yourself as you zipped the bag up and hoisted it onto your shoulders.

On the way out of your room you snatched up your phone and closed the bedroom door behind you, glancing around as you made your way to the front door. Harrow had made you feel uneasy in your own home almost like he had sunk his sickness into the walls like he was always watching you. You made a mental note to disinfect the couch when you returned home. Another glance at your phone showed it was 8:20 your shift wasn't until 9 to your surprise you were running on time.

You placed your apartment key between your teeth as your hands gathered your hair into a ponytail. It was messy and strands fell against your face but you knew better than to look presentable given your mode of transport might ruin it anyway. You removed your keys from between your teeth and unlocked the door looking over your shoulder once more Harrow's words echoed in your head. You weren't scared. You weren't nervous. Yet your hands were once again shaking as they closed the door and fumbled with the keys.

You made your way to the garage below the apartment complex, patting the pockets of your jeans to double check you hadn't left anything. The familiar curve of your motorcycle key was snug against your hip and it gave some ease to know you hadn't locked it in the flat again. You swung your leg over the matte black street 500 that stood out against the fiats and mini coopers other occupants of the apartment building had left for dust down here.

You loved your bike it was your most prized possession the one thing you could constantly depend on, at least half your pay went into servicing it every month just to be safe. You picked the helmet up from off of the handlebar and removed the gloves from their resting place inside. The smell of leather radiated from the helmet as you pulled it on then covered the skin of your hands with the leather of your gloves, Shifting back enough with one hand supporting you and moving your hips forward so you could reach your keys to start the engine.

You flicked the visor down on your helmet before igniting the engine. The roar that bounced off the walls filled you with pride the vibrations of the beast beneath you was something you could never get sick of. A ripple of joy spread through your chest as you kicked the stand back and with a few revs of the engine you drive off out of the garage and onto the main road outside the apartment.