how to help a struggling friend ♡

Nearly everyone has been in a position where a friend is going through a sad or difficult time. It can be confusing and uncomfortable to know what to say and do to make them feel better! It's important to use these tips to make sure your friends feel loved, appreciated, and comforted

1. Listen first. Though you might have your own ideas and advice about what your friend should do in whatever situation they're in, it's important to listen to what they have to say first. Otherwise, they could feel like they're being judged or misunderstood.

2. Encourage them to find support. Many problems are too heavy to carry on your own, or even with a friend. Gently encourage them to get support from a trusted adult or professional.

3. Assure them that you're here for them. Knowing that you have a friend that always loves and supports you is a powerful realization. Simple things like a hug, kind words, or even a small but thoughtful gift can make your friend feel much better about whatever they're going through.

4. Depending on the circumstance, offer advice. Offering advice isn't always the best way to go- your friend might feel like you're implying that they're doing something wrong. However, depending on the circumstances, it might be helpful to offer input on what you think they should do next.

5. Try not to bring yourself into the mix. For example, if your friend is mourning the death of their beloved first pet, it might not be helpful to start talking about your own dog who died a couple years ago. That being said, you can always talk about it in a way that sympathizes with your friend and lets them know that you understand what they're going through.

6. Don't get involved. If someone is bullying or teasing your friend, causing them to be upset, it's best not to get involved with the bully themself. Getting "revenge" or saying harmful things back won't make you any better than the bully themselves and probably won't make your friend feel any better either.

7. Confide in a trusted adult. If you feel like your friend is seriously struggling and it's beyond your abilities to help them, you should never feel embarrassed to tell a trusted adult what they're going through. Don't worry about spilling your friends secrets- if they're truly suffering and might hurt someone else or themselves, you need to get an adult involved to help!

I hope these tips could help you offer genuine support and important resources to any friend going through a rough time. Remember: kindness and understanding is the most important gift you can give

- squish, squishmallow09