24.

Atlas Miller

I keep my eyes glued to the tiled floor of our kitchen.

Kaden's sat next to me tapping his fingers against the marbled countertop while Autumn's stood at the end of the counter next to Nova who was sat in a high chair.

It was currently 7:46am and all the adults were staring at us, waiting for explanations.

"Is anyone going to tell us what the hell you three were doing at 3-4 am in the goddamn morning?"

My dad's arms were rested on his hips as he tried his best to keep his voice calm while he spoke to the three of us.

Why's Axel not in trouble?

"Daniel I think you should calm down-"

My mom's attempt at trying to comfort him completely backfires. "I am calm Lynn! I'm asking them a simple question."

He turns back to face us. And when I say us, I'm referring to me.

I open my mouth to speak but I'm interrupted by the voice at the end of the counter.

"I'd suggested we'd go out to get some food since Kaden was hungry." Autumn explains. "We apologise for sneaking out and worrying all of you, it wasn't our intention."

She shoots me and Kaden a smile with hint of nervousness but quickly brushes it off before starting to mess with the strings of her hoodie.

Something inside of me eases as I take another glimpse of her.

My father brings my attention back to me as he let's out a sigh and wipes his forehead with the back of his hand.

The fuck was he wiping? It's not like he's sweating or anything.

"Was that it Atlas?" He gives me a hard stare, waiting for an answer.

"Yeah."

I always make sure my responses to people are short. Have a response longer than that and they'll just use what you said to them against you.

That's why sometimes it's better to not just speak at all.

Truth is, no one really gives a shit about what you have to say. They'll listen. They'll respond. But they won't actually take your words into consideration.

It's rare to find people who actually listen to you, take in your words and understand you.

It's just like being another stranded star floating amongst other constellations in our universe; one who's desperately trying to find a purpose to their life.

"Atlas." I turn my attention to my Aunt who was sliding over a bowl of sliced strawberries to Kaden.

"After practice you've got to take Autumn and Kaden out to buy some clothes to wear for next week's dinner with the Kingsleys." I watch as she walks over to the sink and begins washing an empty bowl.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What dinner?"

She finishes up washing the last utensils before drying them up quickly and storing them in the drawer where all the other cutlery were kept.