29.

Atlas Miller

"I don't know what on earth's going on between you two, but I will not tolerate that kind of language and behaviour."

Mr Morton sounded beyond pissed.

Letting out a heavy sigh, I lean my back against the wall behind me and close my eyes.

My mom gives my shoulders a sort of massage and I can already sense the pity written all over her features without even having to open my eyes.

She was definitely told about the presentation.

No wonder she's gotten all worried again.

"Autumn would you like to apologise to Atlas?" Natalie's voice was soft.

I pry my eyes open to stare at Autumn sitting across the other chair from me.

She scoffs but it comes out more like a laugh of disbelief.

"Me? Apologise to him? He started it!" Natalie reaches to touch Autumn's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down, but she quickly shoots up from her seat and pushes Natalie's hand away with such force.

"And don't fucking tell me what to do Natalie, you aren't my mother, not even close," she spat hurt and disgust laced into her voice.

"Autumn please." Her dad starts.

"This," she cuts him off and points around the room. "This is bullshit. You're not gonna get me to apologise for something I didn't even start."

She throws a white cloth at my lap before exiting the office, slamming the door behind her.

I scoff and rest my head back against the wall, but this time I keep my eyes focused on the ceiling above me.

Searching for any random cracks or imperfections in the drywall above me, I try to piece the fractured pieces back together as if I'm solving a puzzle piece using my eyes.

I hear Mr Morton sigh which was then followed by the rustling of papers.

"Miss Sanford had organised a retreat. It's next week, it gives the students an opportunity to take some time off and clear their minds. It'd be great if Atlas and Autumn came along."

The parents in the room hum and nod their heads in agreement.

"You can sign the permission slips for the both of them now while you're here—"

"Wait a second," I cut Mr Morton off, "I didn't agree to going on this retreat, you might have my mom's permission but you certainly don't have mine."

My mom cuts in and squeezes my shoulders lightly. "Atlas honey this a great opportunity—"

"Mom," I slap my hands across my face and attempt to rub the irritation off of it before she starts speaking again.

"Please."

Removing my hands from my face, I look up at her; I give in and quietly blow out a puff of air before leaning forward and resting my elbows on my knees.

I give myself a few seconds to think about it before finally giving in.

"Alright whatever, fine."

- - -

"Atlas, is there something bothering you sweetheart? You know you can always talk to me if there's—"

"It's fine mom. I'm fine."

She looks hesitant but nods her head anyway. I exhale before entering the passenger's seat of her car. "The dinner with the Kingsley's tonight, do you still want to go?"