Faith - Part 3.

You found yourself sitting next to Dean at the Reverend's house. The wife poured you and him iced tea, smiling as Dean told them how he felt. 'I feel better,' he was saying, 'Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened?'

The lady smiled at you and you faked one back, as she took a seat opposite you, while Royle was sitting to Dean's left. The lady spoke for her husband, 'A miracle is what happened. Miracles come so often around Roy.'

'When did they start,' you asked, 'the miracles?'

'Woke up one morning, stone-blind,' the man told you both. 'Doctors figured out I had cancer, told me I had maybe a month. So, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, "You just keep right on praying". I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did . . . and the cancer was gone.' He removed his sunglasses, 'If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would have believed I'd ever had it.'

'And suddenly you could heal people,' Dean said it as a statement, rather than a question.

'I discovered it afterwards, yes. God's blessed me in many ways,' he informed, putting back on his glasses.

'And his flock swelled just overnight,' the wife proudly smiled. 'And this is just the beginning.'

'Can I ask you one last question?' Dean asked the couple.

'Of course you can,' the blind man assured.

Dean licked his lips, subconsciously taking your hand in his own. You squeezed it in a supportive manner. 'Why?' Dean said, 'Why? Why me? Out of all the sick people, why save me?'

'Well, like I said before,' the man answered. 'The Lord guides me. I looked into your heart and you just stood out from all the rest.'

'What did you see in my heart?' Dean asked, with a look of disbelief.

'A young man with an important purpose, a job to do and it isn't finished.'

You both thanked the couple for everything and walked out of there. On your way, Layla came walking up the stairs. 'Y/N, Dean, hey,' she greeted.

'Hey,' you and Dean said, together.

'How are you feeling?' she asked with a smile.

'I feel good,' Dean replied, 'Cured, I guess.'

'What are you doing here?' you asked curiously.

'You know, my Mom, she wanted to talk to the Reverend.'

'Layla,' came Sue Ann's voice from up the stairs, she climbed down to where you three were standing while Layla's mom exited her car and joined your small group too.

'Yes, we're here again,' Layla meekly said, with a permanent smile fixed on her face. How can she smile so much? It even looks real and all!

'Oh, I'm sorry, but Roy's resting,' Sue Ann apologized. 'He won't be seeing anyone else right now.'

'Sue Ann, please,' the mother said in a desperate tone. 'This is our sixth time. He's got to see us.'

'Roy's well-aware of Layla's situation, and he very much wants to help just as soon as the Lord allows. Have faith, Mrs. Rourke.'

Sure Ann goes back in, leaving the distraught mother to turn back around. Her scowl deepens upon noticing you and Dean. 'Why are you still even here? You got what you wanted.'

Your fists clenched, 'Okay, moment to point out the impoliteness, please-'

Dean put a hand on your shoulder, shaking his head just a little.

'Mom, stop,' the daughter tried to reel her mother in.

'No, Layla, this is too much. We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you . . . strangers who don't even believe.' She turned to you and Dean, as if it were your faults, 'I just can't pray any harder.'