The Past

*Tris's POV*

As I stepped out of the Spring for the final time, I felt a lot of emotions. I felt sad that I'd never see those girls again. Sad that I'd never get to sit with Alyssa, next to her grave, and tell her about how the girls were doing again.

Part of my heart ached, that part felt betrayed, but I also understood their fear so I tried not to hold it against them. It didn't make it hurt any less though.

I aimlessly wandered the hall's of the maze, the vine covered walls enveloping my vision. My eyes glazed over each wall slowly as I thought to myself.

'I might as well, nothings really stopping me anymore.'

I walked, one foot in front of the other, zoned out in my thoughts.

I was going through my memories. I finally had no reason to push them down and try to avoid remembering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* 15 years prior *

Tears were rolling down my face as I clung to a woman's shirt, she was carrying me. It was dark outside and there was a lot of noise. People were shouting, other kids were crying, and I could hear strange inhuman screams in the distance.

The woman was my mother, when I looked at her face she was crying, too. Pushing her way through a crowd of people. Someone reached out and took her hand, ushering her forwards.

It was my dad. He was carrying a boy with him. My brother, we were twins. I knew that we had celebrated our 4th birthday the week before this. My brother was crying, too. But he was looking at me, reaching out to hold my hand. We couldn't reach eachother.

Our parents finally pushed past the crowd, making it to the front where men in black armor were guarding a large metal fence. The inhuman screams sounded a lot closer then before and it was scarring me a lot more then the unknown men.

Mom kneeled down, placing me on the ground, and holding my shoulders. Dad did the same with my brother, setting him down right beside me. My brother didn't hesitate to reach over to grab my hand. We squeezed tightly to one another, not wanting to get separated as mom started to speak.

I looked at her neck as there were dark lines climbing up her skin from the collar of her shirt.

"Bella, listen to me, I need you to be strong, can you do that for me?" She asked, not breaking eye contact with me. Tears flowed from my eyes as I nodded. "~£}√~∆" I couldn't hear my brothers name, it was like static and gibberish replaced his name, but I knew she was talking to him. "I need you to be strong, too. Can you do that for me?" She asked. He nodded, trying hard not to cry more.

It was dad's turn to speak, when I looked at him, he had those dark lines on his right arm he was holding my brother with.
"You two need to look out for eachother, protect eachother, okay?"

"We will." we whimpered at the same time.

"You have to watch out for eachother, you two will have to cause you're only going to have eachother now." His words made us cry harder.

"We don't want to go!" My brother cried.
"We want to stay with you!" I added, my voice scratchy, and uneven.

"You have to go with these men so you will be safe, we can't protect you anymore-" my mother argued before my brother and I cut her off at the same time.

"We could protect eachother, you wouldn't have to worry about us!" We argued back, our grip on each others hands growing tighter.

"Oh my sweet babies." My mother exclaimed in a hushed voice, pulling us into a tight hug. Our father joining in, holding all of us tightly. They pulled away and the men in armor grabbed my shoulder.