The Key

*Tris's POV*

I've been wandering through the maze for hours. I was snapped out of my thoughts by a loud screech in the distance.

It was dusk, the doors are long past closed by now. I stared into the purple and blue sky wondering if Haily was awake yet, if she was okay. I wondered if Beth would be alright as well, she hit that tree really hard. I honestly couldn't believe I had done that right after it happened.

I shake my head, pushing those thoughts away, only to have others fall in it's place.

'Will Aris be okay? Will Sonya? Will Rose be able to keep everyone safe while I'm gone?'

I stopped walking and just stared straight ahead onto nothing, my fists clenched tightly shut.

'Will I ever see them again?'

I was worried.

Sure, we got into a fight, and my oldest friend kicked me out. But I knew the risks. I agreed to the rules put in place for me and I agreed with the punishment. I accept the consequences for my actions but, what if they don't make it out?

I took a deep breath. My eyes hardened with determination.

I started to navigate in the direction of the screech I just heard a few moments ago. I pulled out the machete I keep slung across my back. I can hear the metal clanking sound of a night clawler around the next corner.

I've silently dart around the corner and attack the night crawler. Its screams pierce my ears, it's so loud the air vibrates around us.

'I will protect them. I'll kill every last one of these things to ensure that the dryads can all make it out alive.'

I assured myself as I brought my machete straight down through the crawlers head, killing the creature. I knew how to get out, the night crawlers heart would lead me to the exit. So I carved the heart from the beasts body.

It was a metal cylinder, the letters "WCKD" painted on it. There's a small square screen on one side with just the number 3 in it. I smirked when I realized it.

Section 3 was open today. This is the key to that exit.

My head snapped to the side when I heard another loud screech in the distance. I slid the key securely into place on my back under my machete's sheath. I picked up my weapon and made my way towards the other night crawler.

'It's going to be a long night.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost dawn.

I had taken out 4 night crawlers tonight, each of their hearts had different numbers. But there's 8 sections to the maze, that means there's still 4 night crawlers alive.

But I knew that they could still make it out. They all just had to work together.

I was standing in front of the closed doors to the Spring. I only kept 2 of the keys. I grabbed one of them and set it down on the ground. I took off a leather strap from my wrist, Rose had made for me last year, and set it beside the key. She'll get them out, she practiced self-defense with me a few times before what happened with Alyssa.

They'll make it out. I know they will.

With that I turned around, taking the other key in my hands, and looking at the number. "5." I read aloud. With that I started to make my way to section 5, trusting that the girls will figure it out soon enough.

When I made it to where the key was leading me, I climbed into the hole and entered the sequence of the maze into a bright red, hologram-like terminal. The terminal turned green and spelled out the word complete.