10 Heavy lifting

Amy POV

Tired and exhausted, I tried to make myself as comfortable as possible in the uncomfortable airplane seat. I slid back and forth to find the best position, but I just couldn't do it.

"Come here." said Kyle quietly, reaching out to put his arm around my shoulders.

I looked up at him and hesitated for a moment. I quickly thought about whether this was such a good idea. Finally, however, fatigue won out. I leaned against him. My head rested against his chest. It did not take a minute until I fell asleep.

Kyle woke me up an hour later when the plane was about to land. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up straight in my seat. Only then did I notice Kyle's hand resting on my stomach. He noticed my look and quickly pulled it away.

"Sorry." he mumbled sheepishly.

"It's okay." I replied with a small smile.

After the plane finally landed and arrived at the gate, we headed off together to get our luggage.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" asked Kyle as we stood waiting at the conveyor belt. He had asked before, but an airplane didn't seem like the best place for either of us to have private conversations.

"I made a decision about my mother. I don't think I will do it. At least not at the moment. My gut tells me it's not a good idea. I don't want to expose myself to that. But I'll keep thinking about it," I explained to him.

Not only did I not think it was a good idea at the moment. It gave me more anxiety. Whenever I thought about meeting her my heartbeat increased and I felt myself start to hyperventilate.

"That's okay. It's probably for the best." he replied as he picked up his suitcase.

While Kyle took his suitcase off the conveyor belt, I grabbed mine and lifted it up. Somehow it seemed heavier than usual. But maybe it was just a little harder because the bump was starting to get in the way.

"Amy! What are you doing? You know you're not supposed to lift that heavy!" scolded Kyle as he immediately took the suitcase out of my hand.

"Relax. It's not that bad. What's going to happen?" I replied, a little annoyed.

"I'm sure the doctor didn't tell you not to do this as a joke. That's the reason why I want us to travel together. So I can help you." he said as he pushed our luggage towards the exit.

"Yes, I know. Please calm down," I said.

"I will if you promise not to do that anymore. I don't want anything to happen to you or Baby O'Reilly." he replied and I heard and felt how worried he really was.

I decided not to say anything for now. I didn't contradict him, but I didn't want to promise him that it wouldn't happen again. He couldn't watch over me for 24 hours after all.

"Are you hungry?" wanted to know Kyle as he was about to put everything in the trunk of the car.

"Hmm... kinda.... I could use a milkshake. Could we- ouch!" I began but then felt a strange pain in my stomach.

I put my hand to the spot, but it wouldn't go away.

"What happened? Are you in pain?" asked Kyle who was immediately at my side.

"Yeah... Maybe we should go to the doctor." I replied a little breathlessly.

Kyle took my hand and slowly led me to the passenger side. He made sure I was sitting comfortably before closing the door. He tried not to let it show, but I saw the very worried look on his face.

"Relax, Ams. Try to take deep breaths in and out. We'll get to the doctor real quick. Nothing will happen to you or the baby." he said.

"Oh God... the baby! This is all my fault. I should have listened to you. Oh, no, no, no. I wasn't paying attention. My baby!" I wailed as I felt that pain again, followed by what felt like bubbles bursting. Whatever was happening was definitely not good. I was already failing.

Kyle POV

Everything happened very quickly. I drove Amy to the hospital and they immediately took her to be examined. I was pacing back and forth in the waiting room, unable to calm down. What had happened? It was probably because she had lifted that heavy suitcase. I knew it was a bad idea. If only I had been watching more closely.

And why the hell did it take so long? I could hardly stand it any longer. I wanted to know how my family was doing. I was about to go see for myself when someone finally came to get me. But the nurse didn't say a word about how Amy and the baby were doing. That couldn't have been good.

She brought me into the room. Immediately I rushed to Amy's side and took her hand tightly in mine.

"Hey... How are you feeling?" I asked as I looked at her closely.

"I'm not sure. The pain is gone. But that bubbling isn't." she explained to me as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Everything is going to be fine. Stay positive." I whispered as I gently wiped away her tears.

Before she could say anything else, the door opened and a doctor walked in. His face was serious.

"Everything is fine. There is nothing to worry about. You and the baby are fine. You had a muscle spasm due to the lifting. But the other feeling is completely normal." he immediately explained when he saw our worried faces.

"Oh thank God." whispered Amy next to me.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead and gently stroked her belly. Relief flowed through me.

"What do you mean by 'normal'?" I asked a moment later.

"Oh that was just your little boy moving around. He seems pretty strong." the doctor replied casually, then left the room.

"Wait what? Did he just... Did he just say little boy?" I asked, perplexed.

"Yes...he... he did. My little boy." whispered Amy as she put her hand on mine and then I felt it too. A very delicate movement. A flutter. I swallowed against the tears.

"Our little boy. This is so... overwhelming. I love you both and I'm glad everything is okay." I said softly and gave her another  kiss on the forehead.

"What's wrong?" I asked when I saw Amy start crying hard. She was sobbing as hard as the day she told me she was pregnant.

"I... I was so worried. And now...now I know why. This is my baby and I love him. I'm his mommy and I love my baby. There's so much." she whispered as she managed to find her voice.

"I knew you could do it. I'm so proud of you. You don't have to be scared. I will always be there and our baby is going to have the best mommy in the world." I replied.

"Kyle?" she said, looking up at me.

"Yeah?" I encouraged her.

"I love you, too. I still do. I thought you should know that. Thanks for not giving up on me." she replied with the smile I had always adored and missed so much.

I leaned over and gave her a sweet, tender kiss while we both rested our hands protectively on top of our unborn son.