18 Answers

Amy POV

I stared at Kyle as my brain tried to grasp what he had just said.

"My what now?" I asked, my voice sounding hollow.

"I know it's a lot now. And I have no idea if it's true. But after he said that, I pulled him aside and asked him a few questions. I didn't want the boys to hear all this. He seems to know things about you and your mother. I don't know if we can trust him and it's not my decision. That's why I had to talk to you about it.

If you want we can call the police and get a restraining order so he can't follow us anymore. I've asked the guys to keep an eye on him so he doesn't run off while I'm talking to you," Kyle explained while holding my hand tightly in his lap.

His eyes showed a lot of concern. Probably because he had no idea how I would react to this information. I tried to take a deep breath and think. How was that even possible? Shouldn't I have known that I had a brother? Wouldn't we have been kept together?

My head was spinning faster and faster as I tried to make sense of this. But I just couldn't, because I didn't have enough information. 

"I... um... I need to talk to him. I need to know what he claims to know. Then I can make a decision," I said eventually.

"Okay. But if it gets to be too much, tell me. Please promise me that. If I see you getting too upset, I will intervene. I love you and our baby and I don't want anything to happen to either of you." Kyle replied, his brow furrowed.

I reached out my free hand and placed it against his cheek. For a few seconds I just looked at him.

"I love you, too. And I promise to take care of myself and the little prince. I want you to stay here. I want you to hear everything he says and you can ask questions if anything seems strange. Right now I'm pretty overwhelmed and I need you," I said quietly.

"I wouldn't have left you alone anyway. Alright... I'll go get him." spoke Kyle.

I just nodded my head as I tried to swallow, but couldn't quite manage it. My heart started to beat a little faster. I nervously stroked my bump to calm myself down a bit.

Then he stood up and left the room with quick steps. It was not long before he returned with the strange man. My eyes immediately darted to his face. I tried to figure out if maybe he looked like me.

"All right. Talk, please. " Kyle said tensely as he sat back down next to me.

"I... well I... I'm not sure where to start.... My name is Oliver Tanner. Although the last name doesn't matter, because it's my adoptive parents'. I've known since I was a teenager that I was adopted. But I was always curious about where I came from. I work as an assistant in a law firm. And when I talked to my boss about it, he told me that I could ask to see the files.

And that is what I did. That's how I found out that my birth mother abandoned me. And the file said that there were two children found in the apartment. I found your name and your date of birth. Which is the same as mine. I'm not just your brother, Amy. I'm your twin. I just needed to find you. That's why I hired a private investigator," the man quickly explained, his words almost tumbling over each other.

"But... how is that possible? If you are really my brother... wouldn't they have kept us together?" I asked quietly.

"I would have thought so, too. But apparently that wasn't always the case back then. Many couples didn't want to adopt twins. Or it was thought better if the individual children got more attention. Today, that certainly wouldn't be the case." he replied.

"Can you prove it? Can we see your ID card?" wanted Kyle to know.

That was a good idea and at least a start to find out if the guy was telling the truth. We watched as he took out his wallet and opened it. He handed us the ID. Kyle and I looked at it closely and my breath caught in my throat. It was the same date and place of birth as mine. Was it possible that he was telling the truth?

"Why did you stalk us and not talk to one of us right away?" I asked, because that part didn't make sense to me.

"I... wanted to... But... But I kept... chickening out. I'm sorry if I scared you or anything. I just didn't know... what to say." he stuttered.

"What do you know about your mother, Oliver?" I then wanted to know, refusing to say 'our mother'.

"Not very much. But the detective found out that she committed suicide shortly after they took us to the child care center. With painkillers. Apparently our dad had died of cancer a few months earlier. So I guess that was the trigger for depression. She lost her will to live," he replied.

I just sat there speechless. I tried to process what he had said. But as much as I tried, it was too much at that moment. Hadn't her own children been enough reason to move on? Or had her grief paralyzed her so much that she didn't think it was possible?

"Do you know about the letter she left her?" asked Kyle.

"What kind of letter? I only know about one page from her diary. A copy of it was in the file and no one knew where the original was. That's why I think she suffered from depression, probably even before her husband died. To me it seemed like she was almost talking to herself," he replied.

My head snapped up in Kyle's direction. We both stared at each other in disbelief. I had always been convinced that it was a letter to me. That she didn't love me anymore. Not in a million years would it have occurred to me that she was writing about herself. That would change everything.

"Listen... I didn't want to invade your lives. All I wanted was to meet my sister. I know it's hard to believe. I'll leave you a copy of the file and the private investigator's research. My number's on it. I'd even be willing to do a DNA test if that's what you want....

But if you don't want to have anything to do with me, I can understand that too. I'll leave you alone and expect nothing. Maybe I should leave now. Congratulations on the baby, by the way," he continued, then reached into his messenger bag to pull out a stack of papers.

Oliver handed me the file with a sad smile before leaving the room. I stared at what I held in my hands and then looked at Kyle. In my hands I held what I had longed for, deep inside me, my entire life. Answers.