10 Awkward Homeschooler

The beach is a crowded strip of sand overlooking a dark/slightly brown lake that's surrounded by mountains.

You know those sayings about how the party only starts when I arrive? Well the opposite happens. The beach party that was going on stops when I step onto the sand. Everyone stares at me and Hanna before moving their eyes up to Travis. With a scowl they go back to socializing.

"Where should we set our stuff?" Hanna asks her brother.

He drops his towel onto the sand. "Here."

"But everyone is over there."

"Did you not see the way they looked at you? We're putting our stuff here."

I lay out one of the two towels I brought and kick off my sandals. Hanna is in a tribal print bikini and by Travis' apparent annoyance, I think he doesn't like his little sister being half naked in public.

Once I shed my shirt and shorts, Hanna motions me to follow her into the water. The water is only slightly cold so I plunge down into it.

"Look, Addy. My brother's coming toward you." She wriggles eyebrows.

I splash her. "You mean us. And besides, he's probably making sure no guys come near you."

"You mean you."

I duck my head underwater in a useless attempt to cool my burning cheeks and swim past her. She grabs on my foot but in a few seconds she releases her grip, and I surface to find Travis holding her out of the water.

"Put me down," she screams.

"Okay." He throws her over my head, and she lands with a smack that makes me wince. I'm the only one who notices that the splash causes everyone to look at us. When I glance back at the siblings, Travis and Hanna are racing to a floating wooden platform. I follow after them and join them on lying down on the warm wood.

I close my eyes, listening to the sound of water lightly hitting the sides of the platform.

I think I may have fallen asleep when suddenly I hear Hanna ask, "So Addy do you have a boyfriend?"

I remain lying down. I'd rather not see my face. "No."

"Really?" Travis sounds surprised.

"I'm kind of a shy person."

"That's right," Hanna pauses, "you're homeschooled."

That makes me smile. "I'm one of the socially awkward ones I guess."

"I thought those were a myth." That's a new one, Travis.

"No. There's a few. But then there are those who could act socially acceptable at a presidential dinner."

I hear skin slapping skin.

"Travis is more of a lone wolf," Hanna explains.

How am I supposed to respond to that?

"I'm saving my heart for my wife."

That sounds romantic. A little impractical but romantic. "How will you find her?"

"I'll just know."

"My brother is a true romantic at heart."

Thank goodness I'm lying down and can't see them. Still they can see me if they're sitting up.

"It sounds more like he's lazy to me," I say.

"Why thank you, Addy," Travis says sarcastically, and I can picture him rolling his eyes.

"Usually people don't like being called lazy." I force myself to sit up. I bring my legs to my chest and peer over the edge of the platform into the water, only to find a pair of eyes glaring at me.

Vote

Comment

Dedicated to AwKwardhoMeschooler for her books Lies About Homeschoolers and Wattpad Moments.