45 Friends

A/N Oh my goodness, guys! I am so sorry! I thought I had hit publish on this 12 hours ago!

I find my way home at two in the morning, my clothes which now probably have holes in them, hanging from my teeth. I walk around to the back of my house, preparing to shift when I catch a smell that faintly seems familiar. I drop my clothes and stalk toward my window, the smell growing stronger. I stick my head in the bushes and am met with a pair of wide human eyes.

Hanna.

I jump back, but Hanna holds out her palms.

"Is that you, Addy?"

Travis or Hunter told her.

I shift into my human self, naked and not really sure how I feel about that.

"Hunter told me." She pulls the collar of her shirt away from her shoulder, revealing a red oval that matches the one on my neck. "He wanted to mark me so he told me everything. He also told me that Jasper's mark on you turned you into one of them."

A thousand thoughts rush through my head—what to say—what to do—what this means. . .

I snatch my shirt and tug it on, still fully aware that I don't have underwear on. "Don't. Don't go saying this is cool or awesome or amazing because it's not. I'm a monster now."

For a brief moment, her face flashes with hurt, and I wince. "I wasn't. I just want you to know that I'm here for you. Maybe it was crazy for me to accept Hunter's mark so soon. Maybe I didn't and still don't know what I was getting myself into. But I'm a part of this world now."

I hug her and by her hesitation I know I startled her. I blink, the tears in my eyes already falling onto my cheeks. "You have no idea how much that means."

She hugs me back. "You may see yourself as a monster now but remember that humans are monsters too. The inside is what matters, not the exterior."