26 The US Postal Service

Please help me get published by voting for my contest entry, Of Sirens and Beasts!

That's right! I've entered the Once Upon Now contest. The top 25 most voted on entered stories this week will move on to the second round where ten of them will be chosen to be published in a book you all can find in stores! The story I entered is called Of Sirens and Beasts and for the purposes of the contest only votes on the FIRST part (chapter) count, but if you also want to vote for the rest of the chapters, well all votes help it to reach more readers! I don't even know how to explain how grateful I would be to each and every one of you.

Voting is only open from now until next Tuesday. I'm so nervous, guys!

Eliza returns with Rory on her tail. Though thank goodness she doesn't actually have a tail. If so, I may need to have another conversation with Xavier.

Dinner is awkward. No one speaks much, and the moment Xavier and Rory are finished they leave to go for a run.

I help Eliza clean up the kitchen and table. As she's setting the last plate in the dishwasher she says, "I'm going to sit outside if you want to join me..."

I shut the refrigerator. "Maybe. I kind of need some time to think to myself."

She purses her lips. "Today probably has been exhausting for you. I'll give you your introvert time." She walks out of the kitchen, and I hear the front door close.

I'm getting out of here. Not today. Not even tomorrow. I don't know when. I'm not escaping by running; I've read about too many of those doomed to fail from the start escape plans in books.

I'm going to use the US Postal Service.

I begin opening and closing doors in the house, searching for Xavier's office. I locate it on the fourth try and find it unlocked. I was expecting it to be locked, but why would he need to lock it anyway when this is his house and only he and Eliza live here? Well now I live here but he's only expecting me to try running or calling someone--not send a letter. He told me during dinner that the only phone in this house is his cellphone which he will keep on him.

Inside there are random stacks of paper on the floor, and his desk is covered in pens and more paper. The cleanest spot is an area in front of the computer designated for the mouse.

I scan over the clutter on his desk for mail. Bingo. I pick an envelope up and set it to the side; now I have the address. Next I open and close the desk's drawers looking for fresh envelopes. I find two and grab a sheet of paper from the printer.

Xavier told Eliza the pack will die if she leaves. That is a load of baloney right there. I've never read a single werewolf book with that plot. And sure, those are based on myths and this is real life, but I thought werewolves were myths in the first place. Also in regular wolf packs, the wolves don't die if their alpha female leaves or dies. They may dissolve, but that won't be due to Eliza's death.

So the chance that he made this all up for her to stay freaks me out. If he really wants her then he should have dated her properly and not kidnapped her. No one would say that kidnapping leads to a healthy relationship. I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

And I'll be damned before I let my best friend get trapped in one of those.

I choose a random pen and put it to the paper.

I'm okay. We aren't hurt. But you may need the marines.

Vague but it serves its purpose. I copy the address I found on the used envelope and fold the letter in three parts, inserting it into the envelope. I write out my address.