12 Stay then Go

My mouth hangs open. No. It's impossible. I know I drove slow, but they never passed us. I trade a look with Hanna before getting out of the truck. I don't slam the door. I just kind of shut it and start walking forward until I realize the door is bouncing and has decided not to close. I shut my eyes, embarrassed. Retracing my steps, I shut it again, this time firmly. Hanna's waiting by the steps of the porch, her mouth shut, her fist clenched, and her cheeks cringing.

I walk past her. "How on earth did you get here?"

"We walked." Hunter runs his hand over the blond stubble on his chin.

"More like flew." Hanna crosses her arms. "When we left you were just heading into the water to fish him out."

The two boys both lean against the door. Travis is in his swim shorts.

"Step aside," Hanna demands. "I'm telling our parents about that lousy, pig-faced jerk."

Hunter stares intently at Hanna, silent.

"Look, Hanna, let's not worry Mom and Dad. You want to go back to the beach at some point, right?"

Well I don't think we'll be going back there for a long time, but it's not my place to point that out.

Hanna crosses her arms, sighing. "Fine."

Travis lets out a breath of relief. "Hunter, can you take Hanna inside? I need to talk with Addison."

What did I do? Is he mad I drove his truck?

Hunter nods, opening the door and letting Hanna by, careful it seems not to touch her.

Once the door's shut I stare at the knob.

"The same goes for you."

I nod.

"Don't mention the fight to my parents."

"It's not my place to tell."

"I don't know if I can trust you? Can homeschoolers be trusted?" There's a slight teasing lilt in his voice.

I smile. "That depends on the secret. I didn't say anything about you sneaking out."

He runs his hand through his hair, nodding.

"What was his problem with us?"

Closing his eyes, Travis massages his face. "We're in the same club. He feels the beach should be members only."

I cock my head to the side. "Club? Like chess club?"

"What? No. Like a country club."

"Pretty exclusive, huh?"

"Yeah. . . I'm sorry your beach day got ruined."

I lean back against the railing. "You think that matters? There's more important things in life to be upset over."

He eyes me curiously. "Like what?"

"Friendships." Eager to change the topic I ask, "Does Hunter live around here?"

Opening the door, he holds it for me. "He lives in the valley."

"So is he like your best friend?"

He shakes his head. "Can't stand the guy."

We climb the stairs and find Hunter at the top, leaning against the wall and messing with his fingers.

"Hey, Addy."

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing." He looks at Travis. "Can I talk with you in your room?"

"Sure. Addy go find Hanna."

I just love how he thinks he's in charge and can order me around. "Where is she?"

"She's in the shower." Hunter scratches his head.

"Then just go to your room, Addison."

"I'm sorry. Is everything okay?"

"I don't have time for this. Just go."

Without another word, I make my way to my room. I feel sorry for his future wife. His door shuts before I reach mine, and I pause. I know it's wrong, but he shouldn't have treated me like that. Tip-toeing, I sneak toward his door, holding my breath.

"It's about Hanna," says Hunter's voice.

"What about her?"

"She's--"

I can't hear the rest of his sentence due to "Addy!"

Disappointed and interested in why on earth she is calling me from the shower I hurry to her room before Travis and Hunter can decide to step into the hall.

Clothes are strewn across Hanna's floor in contrast to her neatly made bed. Her bathroom door is closed but I don't hear the shower running. I knock hesitantly on her door. "Hanna?"

"Addy, thank goodness. I forgot to put the towels from my dresser in here, and I have face soap in my eyes. I honestly can't see anything."

"Okay. Just a minute." I hurry and grab a towel, but when I try to open the door, it's locked. "Hanna." I shake the lock.

"Oh. Umm... I'll get it."

I hear a clang.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just hit my head on the wall. Ahh—"

"Hanna?"

"Almost slipped there."

"Well don't kill yourself."

The lock clicks, and I push the towel in through a crack.

I hear another clang.

"Hanna? Did you hit your head again?"

"No. I'm just drying off."

Then what was that?

My eyes wander in the direction of Travis' room.

Vote

Comment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's your opinion on Travis and Addy? Why is he ordering her around?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^