23 Smells

I take another sip of water, staring at the parking lot. Mr. and Mrs. Briar decided to not let us go to the mall, but since they didn't want to leave us alone, they brought us along with them to town. They went to eat with friends so they dropped us off at a cafe next to other restaurants.

Hanna bites into her sandwich.

"Are you done trying to set me up with your brother?"

She sets her sandwich down. "Yes. But you have to admit what he did to you was hot."

I stare at her. "Really, Hanna? He almost killed me."

"Yeah...I have to go pee." She stands, setting her napkin in her chair. "Don't let them take that." She points to her sandwich.

I nod, yawning and turning my gaze back to the parking lot. A girl's back is to me. She runs her hand through her long black hair, looking distraught like she's trying to find someone. She turns and my eyes widen when I see her face. I stand up. Eliza.

I push the chair back which sticks to the concrete, causing me to stumble. I right myself, running toward the parking lot, not paying attention for cars. "Eliza!"

Her mouth falls open. "Addy?"

I pull her into a hug. "What are you doing here? Come on, let's get you somewhere safe."

She tugs away from me. "Addy, no. I'm fine. You need to go."

"What? Are they making you say this? Come on--"

"No. I've been with friends." A phone buzzes and she pulls one out of her pocket. She grimaces as she reads a text. "Change of plans." Turning to the compact car next to us, she pops the trunk. "Get in."

"What?"

Shaking her head, she pushes me toward it. "I can't argue with them, but I can argue with him. Get in."

"Eliza?"

"Trust me—as your best friend."

If she disappears again I don't stand a chance of ever saving her. Hanna though will freak out if I'm gone. But she's safe, not Eliza. I climb inside, and Eliza closes the trunk, my world becoming dark.

"You feeling all right?" I hear a girl ask.

Car doors open and close.

"Yeah, I think something about my meal made me feel nauseous," Eliza answers.

"You sure you don't just miss Xavier?" a guy asks.

"Very funny, Lee." Knowing Eliza, I'm sure she's rolling her eyes. Why would she miss some Xavier? Why is she so friendly with these people? These are the people who have been keeping her from her family and friends. They didn't kill her, though. Eliza is actually in the same car as me, and she's alive.

"Do you smell something?" Lee asks.

"The food," Eliza answers. I hear styrofoam rustling. "Mmmmm...Mind if I eat in your car? It just smells too good. Mmmm..."

"Eliza?" a girl questions.

"The food's good. Smell that garlic."