𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫. 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Silence

     The next day started just as the sun rose, the deck soon busy with the everyday activities of a ship on the sea. Estelle had been up for hours already, alone with the patrols and the sea, thinking mindless thoughts to keep her busy.

Soon enough, Sturmhond decided he wanted to have some fun. The sparring began.

It was really just Mal, Tolya, and him, but Tamar would occasionally jump in and put them in their place. Not Sturmhond, though. She wouldn't duel him, for no reason other than respect.

Estelle watched silently, a small smile tugging at her lips all the time. Sometimes she'd help out the rest of the crew, but watching kept her plenty busy.

Sturmhond beat Mal down, sword at his neck, then grinned. Mal was giddy to be in action, that much was obvious. It didn't matter if he lost, the only thing he mattered about was the sword held firmly in his grip. Sturmhond helped him up and they started again.

Estelle didn't notice Alina next to her until she spoke up. "How long have you known?"

She raised an eyebrow, taking in Alina's thin figure, a thick coat wrapped around her to defend her against the strong winds.

"Known what?"

"That you're a Star Summoner."

Briefly, Estelle considered lying. But what good would lying bring to her now? Sometimes, she could condone a few white lies to save a life. But here? Ridiculous.

"Since I was about thirteen." Met with Alina's blank stare, she added, "About six or seven years."

Alina nodded, turning to watch the two boys fight each other. "How long has it been since you used your powers last? Not including last night."

Estelle let out a breath, leaning over the rail that overlooked the main deck. "A few months."

"It's been longer than that," she remarked. "You don't look like you've been sleeping, either. How long is 'a few'?"

This girl was clever. Estelle didn't know what she was expecting, but she wouldn't have thought a Sun Summoner would know how to read someone like this. Especially one who'd only known she was a Summoner for less than a year.

"If I were to tell you, would you tell me about that fetter around your wrist?" Alina's eyes widened and she went to cover it up. "Don't act so surprised. I don't need to use my Small Science to figure things out. Do we have a deal?"

Alina thought about it for a minute, then nodded. "Fine. You first."

"I'd say about six months now. The fetter?"