𝐭𝐰𝐨. 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬

CHAPTER TWO

Voices

     Estelle took Sturmhond's outstretched hand and let him help her down from the railing. She didn't waste time taking in his appearance again, his crooked nose and his pointy chin, his ruddy hair tousled from the wind. She much preferred his natural face, but she'd take anything at this point.

Looking around at his crew, she recognized them all, though she'd never met some of them in person. One, however, caught her attention. One who wasn't on his crew.

As the rest of her small company filed onto the deck, Estelle made her way over to Alina Starkov.

The girl looked like she'd been thrown into the deep end of the real world and she still wasn't used to it yet. Her eyes were wide, watching the Izoćeici's crew hop down from the railing and onto the Volkvolny. Estelle didn't know as much as she should have about Alina, but she knew enough.

"Alina Starkov," she greeted, a small bow swinging her messy coil of a braid over her shoulder. "It's nice to meet you."

"Who are you?" Alina demanded. "And what's going on?"

Estelle glanced back at Sturmhond, who tilted his head and joined them. "Alina, meet Captain Estelle Svjetlo of the Izoćeici. She and her crew will be joining us for a large portion of our journey."

Next to her, the tracker Estelle recognized to be Malyen Oretsev, stepped forward. "This wasn't a part of the deal, Sturmhond. How do you know we can trust her?"

"Because she's saved my life, on more than one account," Sturmhond replied simply. "I suggest that you begin to trust her now, or you won't be getting very far."

"Why?" Alina asked.

A sly smile crept onto his face. "She's one of the few people who can help with your battle against the Darkling."

Leaving the two in confusion, Sturmhond wrapped his arm around Estelle's shoulder, turning to the ship's crew. "Estelle is back!"

Joyful hoots and yelps from his men welcomed her, her own women glancing at them incredulously, as if they'd lost their minds. There was no real reason for that kind of welcome, which Estelle recognized, but she also knew it was a part of them. When they joined the Volkvolny, that's what they did. Every ship dynamic was different.

Estelle walked up to the railing as the men grabbed the plank and brought it back over to the Volkvolny. The woman who was going to take her place as acting captain, Leaz, nodded to her from the Izoćeici. After Ana, she was the crew member Estelle trusted the most.

She was taking a leap of faith by going with them to Ravka. She certainly didn't want to, even if she knew she should. The Darkling needed to be taken down, to let Ravka be free from his grasp and the Fold that he'd created.

Yes, she knew. She'd known for years, keeping the secret as far away from him as she possibly could.

If she had to be honest, Estelle was terrified of him. Among other things, but fear was the main feeling towards him now.

But she'd grow wings before she'd ever admit that to anyone.

As the Izoćeici sailed away, Estelle turned to the rest of the ship. Everyone was staring at her. "What is everyone looking at?" she asked. "Go on, get to work!"