𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Real

     Estelle was taking a stroll around the gardens as she waited for the war strategy meeting to let out. She had a different meeting to attend to, one that she couldn't miss, no matter how much Nikolai wished for her to be there.

For hours, she listened to the Grisha teachers try to figure out what to do after Alina decided to evacuate the children. Would they stay and help? Would they go to Keramzin with the children?

Estelle made their situation very well known. It would be dire and if the Darkling attacked Os Alta, he'd do it with his shadow soldiers, the nichevo'ya. It wasn't easy to defeat the nichevo'ya, Alina had told her the only way to kill them was to use the Cut. Estelle wasn't sure if she'd be able to use the Cut again.

Most of the teachers decided to go to Keramzin, while a small few went with Estelle to the Little Palace. Those who came with her immediately fit in with the Grisha there, all with a similar goal: To take down the Darkling.

Estelle sat down on a bench, breathing in the flowery scent, the breeze lightly ruffling her braided hair. Her baby hairs were loose and getting in her eyes even though she turned her face to where the wind was coming from.

She could see Nikolai and Alina coming from the moment they walked into the gardens. Alina looked like she was fuming, presumably from the meeting they'd just come from.

"Let me guess, your brother?" said Estelle as they were in earshot.

"Not hard to guess that," muttered Alina as she sat down next to Estelle. "He's a donkey."

Nikolai chuckled. "Right. And what would that make me?"

"A donkey's brother," Estelle replied simply, "who just so happens to be on a quest for the throne. Did you accomplish anything in the meeting today?"

Alina let out a breath of frustrated air. "Not a thing."

"Yeah, well, that happens." Estelle shrugged.

"Did you accomplish anything?" asked Nikolai.

"I brought back some Grisha to fight. They're not many, but it can be enough to make a difference." Estelle stood, brushing off her pants.

"We really need to get you a kefta," said Alina. "I mean, you're the Star Summoner. I've got a one-of-a-kind kefta, you should have one, too."

Estelle wrinkled her nose. "No, thank you. I stand out enough without a kefta to make me look like a tree topper."

Alina rolled her eyes, but dropped the subject nonetheless. "How are the Grisha meetings going?" Estelle asked. "I apologize that I haven't been there."