𝐭𝐞𝐧. 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐭

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

Conflict

     That night, they had a bonfire to celebrate Estelle's return and the hope of a better future. A better future for Suli and Ravka.

Estelle borrowed better clothes to dance in, and then placed another pair of traveling clothes with the rest of her stuff, all packed and ready to go in the morning.

But thoughts of her walking out again were far from her thoughts. The bonfire was large, the music was jolly, and her entire family was celebrating.

It seemed like a waste to spend the entire time sulking.

The piece playing was a classic, a folk song associated with one of the oldest stories about a girl who'd run away and saved her people, then come back to her family. Ironic.

Around the fire, men, women, and children alike danced, grins lighting up their faces. Although it didn't feel like much of a reason to celebrate, when she was going to be leaving tomorrow anyways, Estelle danced with them happily. Not to mention that she'd downed a few alcoholic beverages to let her troubles slide away, if just for one night.

Her bare feet ached from hours of twirling and jumping around the fire, so she retired to join her outside friends, who all stood to the side, not sure if they should join or not.

"Go dance," insisted Estelle. "After tonight, there won't be a lot of frolicking allowed, so go crazy. Please."

Farrah helped Emil onto the dance floor while Lije and Jiel ran to join the dancers. Mars refused to go, and after a few failed attempts, Kenna set off by herself to join the others. Estelle stood next to Ana and bumped their shoulders.

"You should go, too," she said. "It'll be good for you."

Ana rolled her eyes. "Are you trying to say I'm too uptight?"

"I'm trying to say that you could let loose every once in a while. You may not be uptight, but you tend to always be very composed, worried about acting right. There's no one here who will blame you."

She sighed, shaking her head. "That's not what I'm worried about."

"So you are worried?" Estelle raised an eyebrow.

"No, I..." Ana rubbed her eyes, fatigued. "I don't know, Estelle. Maybe I'm tired. Or maybe I'm worried we won't do everything we set out to do when you agreed to go with Nikolai to defeat the Darkling. Maybe I'm worried you're taking all this too lightheartedly."

With a frown, Estelle stepped in front of her to see her face clearly. She wasn't lying, and the crease lines in her forehead showed her concern. "Lightheartedly? How can you say that?" Estelle asked.