𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧. 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Truth

     When they reached the front gates, the others were already waiting. Unfortunately, with a group of palace guards keeping them out.

Mars had a scowl on her face, talking to one of them animatedly with her hands. The others either looked annoyed or bored.

"Finally!" Mars exclaimed as Estelle and Ana's horses clopped nearer. "Tell these idiots that we're here to see the king and queen."

"Now you listen here—" the one she was arguing with began, red faced.

"I'm here on official business by the second-born prince of the King and Queen of Ravka, Prince Nikolai Lantsov," Estelle told the guard, sliding down from her horse. Ana followed suit. "We'd like a private audience with the monarchs, and we'd like it as soon as possible. It's regarding the Darkling and his rampant rage across their country."

Estelle had learned years ago that if one acted like they belonged, then everyone else believed it too, even if they didn't believe it themself. She was aware that her hair looked like it hadn't been brushed properly in weeks and that she hadn't had a nice bath in a while, but she stood straight up tall and looked the guard in the eye.

Even messengers can run into trouble along their journey.

The guard gritted his teeth, but he sighed. "Follow me. I'll see what I can do."

They were led past the stables where their horses were left to be groomed and fed, then through the halls of the Grand Palace and into a secluded room. It looked like it was some sort of strategy room, with a few windows letting in bright midday light. The doors closed behind the guards and Estelle heard the sound of two pairs of boots stopping to stand right outside.

Trapped in. Not that Estelle didn't expect it.

"What's our plan?" asked Lije.

"We're going to tell them the truth," Estelle said, sitting down in one of the plush chairs, signing and talking at the same time. "That I'm the Star Summoner, we're waiting for Nikolai and the Sun Summoner to arrive, the Darkling is coming and their only defense is us."

"Are you sure they won't get...overwhelmed?" Ana wondered.

Estelle chuckled. "Of course they will, but we want them overwhelmed. If that's how they feel, then they'll lean on us to help them. We want them to rely on us."

"Plus, they haven't seen Nikolai in years," pointed out Farrah.

"Are we sure that we want to be in this position?" Emil asked. "They're the king and queen, they can threaten us."

Mars scoffed. "With what? They don't know us. They don't have anything to threaten us with."

"They could always threaten to take our lives," Kenna offered. "That works for everyone."