𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Alone

     Estelle's footsteps echoed through the halls of the Grand Palace, choosing not to stare at the ridiculously expensive show of money decorating the walls and ceiling in gold and marble. The floors were also marble, black and gold to contrast the bright walls around, with a little white mixed in for more color.

In her hands were a stack of important papers she needed to get to various lords around Ravka and court, all about military deployments and the arising danger that the Darkling posed to them. It was one of her many chores that were in her job detail.

In only a few days, she'd become swamped with things to do, and practicing her Small Science became secondary, tertiary, whatever was less than all her jobs to Ravka.

Deep purple bruises were left under her eyes from lack of sleep and energy, but she had brought this upon herself. She accepted Nikolai's job offer. She was doing all of this for the good of Ravka, all while Alina rallied the Grisha Army and Nikolai the noble dignitaries from near and far. She was simply stuck doing paperwork.

"Estelle."

She looked up quickly, bringing her steps to a slow stop. Farrah and Ana stood in front of a doorway, both of their faces grim. Estelle frowned.

"What is it? What's happened?" she demanded.

"Everyone else is inside," Farrah said. "We can all talk then."

Suspicion clawed at Estelle, but she walked through the door Ana opened for her to find that, indeed, the rest of her friends were inside the room. It was a waiting room with a bookshelf, a few sofas, and a desk in it. Light shone through three windows in perfect rays.

All heads snapped up to meet her eyes once she stepped through the door.

Kenna took a step forward, closing the book she held in her hand. She opened her mouth to say something, but she closed it just as quickly, stepping back to stand behind the sofa Lije sat on.

Mars sat on the opposite side of a second sofa than Jiel. Emil leaned against the far wall, peering out one of the windows. The tension was thick. Were those...tear stains...on Kenna's cheeks?

"Somebody tell me what's going on right now," Estelle demanded, signing along for Ana. "What's happening?"

Nobody spoke up and, seeing this, Mars swallowed and stood up. "Estelle, our captain, we will always be loyal to you and to you alone."

"But?" Estelle gritted her teeth, staring at Mars.

"Ravka...Os Alta, it's not the place for us," Farrah said. "We all miss the sea, the Izoćeici. Freedom."