𝐬𝐢𝐱. 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

Together

     The moment they entered the Fold, thank the Saints, Alina threw up her hands and a swaddle of golden light surrounded the Hummingbird like a bubble.

Goosebumps ran over Estelle's arms and the back of her neck. She could hear voices whispering in the back of her mind—the same voice again. Aleksander.

You are powerful.

Estelle gulped down what little air was available to her. She'd already blacked out once because of him.

No one will be the same as you.

"They're coming," said Mal. "Listen." Estelle strained her ears to hear. The cry of volcra, the flapping of their inhuman wings.

No one will see you as their equal.

Estelle could see and hear the volcra all around the little bubble of Alina's light, screeching as they wouldn't go past the rays. Still, it was much closer than usual.

Alina spread her arms wider, letting the light bloom further out.

You are better.

"No," said Sturmhond. "Bring them closer."

Alina and Estelle both whirled on him. "What? Why?" asked the Sun Summoner, beads of sweat on her forehead.

"They hunt us," he said, raising his voice so everyone could hear him. "Maybe it's time we hunted them."

A warlike whoop went up from the crew, followed by a series of barks and howls. Estelle placed the back of her hand against her pounding head.

You could be better.

"Pull back the light," Sturmhond told Alina.

Alina turned to Mal. "He's out of his mind. Tell him he's out of his mind."

Mal hesitated. "Well..."

"Well what?" Alina asked, incredulously. "In case you've forgotten, one of those things tried to eat you!"

He shrugged, a grin on his lips. "Maybe that's why I'd like to see what those guns can do."

We could be better.

Alina shook her head, expressing everything Estelle felt. She didn't like this. It was risky, and she didn't like to take risks for no reason. This was like killing for fun, something Estelle never understood, and knew she never would.

"Just for a moment," pressed Sturmhond. "Indulge me."

Estelle watched as Alina thought it over. Everyone waited for her to decide.