𝐗𝐕𝐈.

-The night Massimo was shot.-

Sleep never came to Vito through that night into morning. Not after that evening when Massimo's actions brought dire consequences. Massimo took three steps forward and seven steps back.

Only hours ago, Massimo committed treason, breaking a pact with the Cuban Kingpin, Epifanio Castillo, that left Massimo in critical condition from a near gunshot wound to the torso that luckily hadn't been fatal.

Vito stood outside the room Massimo resided at one of their safehouses. Two of their men were inside keeping him awake by carrying on small talk while Vito kept eyes out on the front for headlights.

"Vito," one of the men hung out the door, "[boss wants alcohol. Whatever's in the kitchen.]"

"[Tell him there isn't any.]" Vito didn't have time to worry about drinks, there was a battle that awaited outside of those walls and they were far outnumbered.

"[Vito, I need something,]" moments later he called out knowing there had to be something in the house.

Vito inhaled deeply, annoyed, but snapped his fingers and made one of the others keep lookout while he went to grab a glass of water instead. Vito wasn't surprised at his reaction not being exactly in favor of what he had chosen.

"[What did I do to deserve this?]" Massimo mumbled, but drank it since he didn't have much of a choice. He looked like shit with his dark curls clinging to his forehead by a cold sweat.

"[You know exactly what you did. Now drink. Be fucking thankful I'm still here, cousin. You fucked all of us.]" Vito was beyond enraged. Massimo's decision placed his family directly within the line of fire.

Massimo brought the drink down with difficulties in trying to swallow. He knew his actions were impulsive, but he hadn't wrapped his head around the magnitude of what he had done.

"[And what if it was Sara?]" Vito swiftly turned back around to face Massimo, furious.

"[Don't mention Sara. Jin. Giorgio! You weren't thinking about any of them, you were only thinking about yourself and that damn pride, Massimo!]"

"[He disrespected my woman,]" Massimo set the glass down, and had to be held back from leaving the couch, "[I will do anything to protect what is mine.]" Vito could only laugh at his comment, spreading his arms apart and twirled hisbupper body sarcastically before turning his wicked cement to Massimo.

"[Where is she? She isn't here. You sent her off. To keep her safe. She doesn't belong to you. But I'm married. I am a father. I have children and I can't be there to make sure they are safe.]" He jabbed at his chest as he lifted off the facts. Stress brought out brutal truths, and Vito was filled to the brim with worry.

Massimo sneered then shook his head lightly.

"[Go. Leave whenever you want. I'm not going to stop you.]" Massimo waved his hand to dismiss Vito, and he was nearly about to take him up on that offer, but something told him to stay. Maybe he was a dog after all.

Their family's personal physician didn't tend to Massimo, but someone else that was recommended came in his stead. And his presence didn't sit well with Vito, but by word of mouth, he allowed him to tend to Massimo.

After the procedure was over and Massimo was pumped up with fluids and drugs, Vito stopped him in the hallway for an update, but he seemed in a rush to leave. Vito made sure to remember that face, burning it into his memory.

His words didn't sit well with Vito. As if he lacked confidence in his work by stating they admit him to a hospital if he worsens by tomorrow morning. He understood the risks with the lack of proper equipment, but something felt off. Perhaps it was just overthinking. By having him tended to in secrecy, they were trying to keep his status of being alive unexpected by their current opponent.

As for the physician, Vito knew nothing of his experience nor personal background. He seemed the only one to question anything and everything since the event occurred. And it appeared he was the only one fulfilling the job of protecting the head of the family. A single man would thwart unprecedented plans.

Their men were scattered about, a few more had arrived, by then, but little did they know a killer had worked in silence. Had it not been for Vito being interrupted by a sixth sense to check on Massimo, he would have possibly been dead by morning.

Vito entered the room where Massimo lay dormant. They were instructed to allow him uninterrupted rest. However, Vito had to disagree.

A switch flickered on one of the lamps by Massimo's bedside where he was being given what they assumed was necessary intravenously since no one was going to question a professional. But Vito noticed he was moving his legs oddly beneath the sheets, pausing, then released an inaudible moan that alarmed him further. It wasn't normal behavior, but then again it could have been just a terrible dream. A repeat of Massimo suffering through nightmares of his past. Specifically one of his father being killed right in front of him, but when he grew near, something was wrong.

"Massimo?" Vito reached over and turned Massimo onto his back, grabbing his face. When his contracted pupils didn't focus and nothing that came out of his mouth formulated a clear sentence, Vito had to save him the only way he could. Quickly he called for an ambulance, tearing the needle out from his arm feeling that had to have been the source that made him so ill.

The rapid constant drip coming from what was assumed to be regular saline solution was in fact diluted with a high enough volume of morphine poisoning his veins. Had he been left any longer, he would have fallen into a coma along with respiratory failure and died a miserable death.

✦✧✦

The next morning, Vito entered the hospital room after coming from the cafeteria being fueled by coffee to press on a few more hours further. He'd spoken to Sara, her and the kids would be taking a flight to stay with her sister in MMaryland. With that peace of mind, his next priority was to do his job and that was to see to it that Massimo made it out alive, but the Don had other plans. He was already sitting upright only after a few hours of his system being detoxed, buttoning up his shirt from a change of clothes brought to him by one of their subordinates.

"[What are you doing?]" Vito asked walking around the bed to face Massimo's madness head on.

"[I need to bring her back.]" Massimo felt the side effects of dizziness and disorientation, but the quicker he got on his feet moving about, the better he'd feel. Mentally at least. And of course there was no place like being home once everything ahead of him was done and over with. Laura could have been at risk and he wasn't going to lose her after just recently finding her.

"[You were almost killed.]" Vito knocked back half of the coffee alas having to place it down so he could try to slow down Massimo's pace, but there was definitely no stopping him.

"[I'll recover. But it won't be here.]" Massimo looked around for his shoes, but his arm was already being a nuisance. "[Vito… have you ever been near death?]"

"[No.]" Vito looked him in the eyes and saw something there he couldn't quite define. There was something different.

"[... It was like... sitting in still waters... waiting.]" Massimo closed his eyes and stilled as Vito took over trying to get him put together so they could go. "[I need her with me. I can't lose her, Vito.]" He opened his eyes only seeing Laura's face when he closed them.

"[Then let's get her back.]" He set his hands on hisbhips knowing this may end in travesty, but Massimo had his mind made up. It was impossible to change it now.