Abominations...

"I don't know when I am. I've activated the temporal beacon. You get into the Dauntless and you get out here and rescue my ass." We received a SOS message from a time traveler.

"Seems a bit vulgar to be a time master." My father commented.

"Maybe a time pirate?" I suggested.

"Yeah, that's what we're thinking." Sara confirmed.

"He activated a beacon. We have to go after him." Ray pointed out.

"He's a time pirate. Why would we rescue him?" Jax countered.

"Because if he ends up somewhere he shouldn't..." Sara started.

"And does something he shouldn't..." I continued.

"It's aberration palooza." Sara finished, making an explosive motion with her hands.

"So, where do we think he's going to end up?"

XXX

"Looks like Mississippi, 1863."

"Height of the American Civil War."

"It's also the bloodiest year in American history." Ray added to Nate's comment. "We gotta watch each other's backs out there."

"Yes, which is why you'll be watching ours from right here." Sara told her friend awkwardly. Ever since his A.T.O.M. suit had been destroyed, Ray was struggling to find his place on the team and it was starting to show.

"Huh?" He asked her confused.
"If you don't mind, someone has to stay behind as backup. And if it makes you feel better, Maria will be joining you." I looked at her appalled. It's not like my supersuit just blew up.

"Umm, why, may I ask?"

She pulled me close and whispered in my ear. "I know Ray, he's going to try to be the hero, so I need someone here to make sure he doesn't get killed. That's all, okay?"

I rolled my eyes and reluctantly answered her. "Fine, Ray Ray, I guess it's just me and you."

XXX
Mississippi 1863

"Along with comm devices, I also packed lunches." Ray informed the group in the cargo bay, everyone besides me and him suiting up for the mission. "I figured the food in 1863 is pretty lousy."

"All right, the operation is simple. We isolate the target, we eliminate the time ship, and we get out of there." Sara told the team, waving her knife around as she spoke.

"And all while wearing this dress." Amaya complained, looking at the dress she was wearing.

"Come back safe!" Ray said cheerily as the team filed out of the cargo bay. As they left, the smile started to fade off of his face.

"It's okay, Ray." I patted the man's shoulder. "It sucks being benched. Especially when you don't actually have a reason why." I muttered the second sentence as I walked out, not wanting to make Ray feel worse than he already did.

XXX

"It's Mississippi, 1863. The weather is a temperate 58 degrees." Ray started to speak into the team's comms. I could practically see Sara rolling her eyes on the other end. "Ooh, a little trivia: you guys are in Hinds County, which was named after General Thomas-" The line turned off and I tried to contain my laughter. "Guys? Guys?" No answer.

"Sorry, Ray." I looked at the man sympathetically. "Sara definitely just turned off your comms."

XXX
"Nice job blowing up the time pirate's escape pod! Put another win in the mission column." Ray congratulated the team as they all sluggishly walked back onto the bridge. I rolled my eyes at how clueless Ray was. After they blew up the escape pod, our team started to fight off confederate zombies.