Chapter 4

It takes a lot for Jungkook to return to the Security Force headquarters. He takes his weapon to sign it in, working entirely on autopilot, following everyone else.

He remembers the way down to the belly of the beast that suddenly seems much darker and much more dangerous than Jungkook had thought possible.

He enters his room and finally, he is able to let his rage free. He kicks and throws everything there is to kick and throw in the small room. He rips his uniform off and throws it in the bin, stuffs it as far down as it'll go and spits on it before his logical self pulls it back out again and chucks it in the bottom of his locker in case he'll need it.

With only himself left, no uniform or rank, no identity, he steps into the tiny shower and scrubs and scrubs even though it doesn't make him feel clean. At least the shower hides his angry tears.

Since he has nothing else to wear, he grabs a clean set of the underlayer for the uniform which consists of a tight, white tee and shorts. He digs out the packet of crackers but can't bring himself to eat them. Instead he sits on the floor, staring at it as if it held all the answers he seeks.

The shower has cleared his mind, focusing the burning anger down closer to icy rage, sharp as the edge of a knife. He's no longer in shock or wondering how they could do something like that. Now, he needs to know why.

He cannot help his mind drifting toward the one long conversation he had with Trip where he talked about his worries over his upgrades and his fear based on the rumour he had heard. What if the rumours of Mirotex getting rid of malfunctioning upgrades wasn't just a rumour? What if the mission to "take out an Underground cell" was just a cover for the actual operation?

What if the mission he just returned from was actually just a method of disposal, a purposeful removal of defective upgrades from circulation?

There is a disgusted gag building in Jungkook's throat and he has to work hard to keep it down.

The constant feeling of unease swirling in Jungkook's gut since he woke up feels solidified. He is fully beginning to understand the power of Mirotex and feel the extent of their web of lies.

Is anything they tell people true?

In the end, the motivations behind their actions don't matter. What matters is that Jungkook wants nothing to do with it. He will never kill innocent people.

This means that the only option is to leave and disappear. He needs to find someone who can help him get out and he needs to stay sane while doing.

Jungkook hasn't slept a wink. He spent the entire night like a trapped animal, pacing around the small room while figuring out his plan. His non-existent plan. He has no idea where to go and he hasn't even figured out what he's supposed to do about his upgrades. How can he leave when the very thing that he needs to survive is here?

But there is a tightness of desperation inside him, he tries not to panic. There has to be a way. He cannot be the only person who feels like this out of the hundreds of people who do this every day. He cannot be the only person who has figured it out.

When there is a knock on the door, Jungkook jumps as if already caught escaping. He takes a moment to breathe before opening the door. He couldn't be happier to see the only person hopefully able tell him what's going on.