Chapter 15

Sitting in the tactical vehicle on his way to the mission, Taehyung is surprised at his own ease. He's not nervous, well, only in a way that sharpens his senses. He realises that this is probably because it's what he's always done with Jungkook for as long as they have known each other. They have always put themselves at risk for other people.

Except this time it's for him.

Taehyung doesn't know what he'd do if something were to happen to Jungkook, he'd never forgive himself for being this selfish. For taking this much and giving so little in return. In a way he is grateful for Mnemosyne because at least they are all here for everyone and not just for Taehyung's chip. It's not just about him.

The journey from their underground lair to Arasaka Industries takes precisely 42 minutes, they arrive directly after the first rains. Before they leave the vehicle, Shivani runs through the plan one more time while she double checks her weapons.

"We are entering the facility via the under-bridge scaffolding using Jungkook's security clearance. The mission is two-fold: to acquire the "memory machine" Mnemosyne and the upgrade chips. Return via the same route."

Jungkook wonders if ten minutes is a realistic mission time to complete such a complex task, especially since they don't know with any kind of certainty where their mission targets are located.

Dr Cheng was able to suggest locations based on the environmental requirements of the things they are looking for. The Mnemosyne is used where the upgrades are held in cooling pools to reduce body temperatures, whereas the chips themselves must be stored at body temperature, at 37ºC.

This means that the machine is most likely to be in the main laboratory but the chips are probably kept in a separate storage space in the upper floors with independent temperature control.

Before putting his helmet on, Taehyung steals one more glance, wanting nothing more than to reach over and kiss Jungkook. He doesn't.

He doesn't get far with the helmet because Jungkook crowds him behind the vehicle to steal a quick kiss while everyone is too busy getting ready. When Jungkook sees Taehyung blush, he is reminded of why they are here. Why this is the most important thing.

He is here for Taehyung, everything else is secondary. Jungkook hopes more than anything that his eyes tell Taehyung all the things he wants to say but is unable to. He doesn't want to even consider the option that this might be the last chance he'll ever have to tell Taehyung how he feels... he doesn't say any if the things he wants to say.

Once in full attire, gloves and helmets on, they look identical to Mirotex Security Force officers. Even their weapons are standard issue Mirotex assault rifles. Jungkook figures The Underground must have killed an entire army of the company's men by now, so getting all the gear would have been a piece of cake.

They skulk around the buildings in the dark, night vision of their helmets making the journey easy. Shivani is on point, followed by Jungkook and Taehyung. The twins are positioned between them and Tiny at the tail of the snake, keeping an eye at the rear. They move virtually soundlessly, low down and close together.

"Stop." Shivani puts up a fist as soon as they see the bridge. "Shit." Barely audible, everyone hears it. Bad news. "There are people on the scaffolding. Not ours. We have to abort."

Immediately Jungkook grabs a hold of Shivani's shoulder. "We can't. This is our only chance. Taehyung doesn't have more time. He needs a chip, we all need the machine." Shivani hesitates when Jungkook carries on, stubborn determination filling his voice.