Chapter 9

The market can hardly even be called that. A huddle of sad tents underneath a flyby in a maze of abandoned buildings in a middle of a massive refurbishment project. Jungkook can't help but to wonder if this would have been where Trip worked when he found out that his upgrades hadn't taken.

Leaving Mirotex like that, in secret and a tail between his legs, left a bad taste in Jungkook's mouth. It feels like he ought to have done something, ought to have fought the system, stop it from happening again. Protect the innocent. A sudden rage flares inside him at the unfairness of it all. How could Mirotex be allowed so much power that they can do this? Get away with killing people who inconvenience them. Harmless people.

"I was told the market is temporary, they have to keep moving around, hence the tents... I have no idea where Troy will be -if he's even here." Taehyung says, looking around.

Automatically, Jungkook scans the small crowd. Numbers, guns, any known offenders. He realises his mistake too late because the list of the last one on the list is as long as his arm. Something you'd expect in an illegal market providing illegal services.

"There." Taehyung points at a tent at the end. A large logo on the flapping canvas identifies the person inside. It's a large horse. Kind of ironic since there haven't been horses around for hundreds of years.

Taehyung walks in first and is greeted with a pleasant smile but somewhat less pleasant words. "I'm surprised to see you're still alive." But when Jungkook walks in after, the man is choked into silence and he merely stands, staring from one man to the other and back again.

Troy's tone changes instantly. "W-what can I do for you?" His voice shakes. "I'm afraid I haven't got any holoshields at the moment. You're going to have to come back later." He nods at Taehyung and clears his throat awkwardly.

The strange looks continue until Jungkook says: "Do you know me? Or him?"

"W-well I know Taehyung here, he came for a holoshield a few days ago." He doesn't look at Jungkook.

The man's behaviour is so strange that Jungkook has to go on a gut feeling.

"Do you know me.... From before?" Troy shakes his head, everything about him says he's lying. "You know I can tell you're lying, right?" Jungkook says, annoyed.

"W-what do you want from me?" The man's voice is tight with fear.

"We need to contact The Underground. You must know how, I know you do, I've heard whispers." Taehyung's words are fast and sharp. When the man doesn't answer, merely stares at them with worry painted all over his face, Taehyung carries on explaining.

"We need to get rid of our upgrades. Is there someone who can help us?" The shock on Troy's face is palpable.

"Why an earth would you want that? People would kill for what you have!" Troy gasps in shock and silently assesses them both.

Jungkook shakes his head.

"You say that but the upgrades are what's going to kill us before anything else does. Trust me. They need to come out. Now."

Troy doesn't stop staring at them, from one to the other but he seems less worried after their intentions were made clear.

"What is it? I suggest you tell us voluntarily. We haven't got long..." Jungkook speaks harshly, he's done wasting time.

"I-it's just... I can't believe you're here, both of you." Jungkook and Taehyung exchange glances.

"Before... I wasn't entirely sure you were who you said you were, Taehyung, but now... you're Jungkook right?" He says it quietly, like testing out the name on his tongue.