Mistaken

Carter had been walking for a while. It was dark, and about a mile back, she had turned off her light to save the battery, who knew when she was going to ever find batteries again.

It was a cold night and Carter hugged herself and breathed on her hands warming them up a little. Her stomach hurt, for she was scared and lost. What if she never found them again? It didn't matter anyway, she probably would turn like Payton had said.

Please help me. I don't want to die alone.... I don't want to be one of them. She thought to herself and took a breath, holding back tears. All she wanted to do was lay down and give up. For she didn't like this new world anyway.

Carter's gaze fell down to her knife and she looked at it longingly. I wonder if it would just be better if I-

Her thought was cut off as a woman stepped out from behind a tree and swung a knife. Carter pulled away but was sliced in the cheek by the knife. She fell down and held her cheek curling into a ball. She wanted to scream, but nothing came out besides a whimper of pain. She closed her eyes and heard the shuffling of the woman's feet around her. The woman gasped and kneeled down "I'm sorry! I- I didn't know you were still human!" She woman said in fright.

Carter did nothing but sob and hold her cheek. Before she knew it, she was asleep of exhaustion.

The unknown woman picked her up and carried her away toward a small house a little away.